my 22 month old still has cradle cap! any tricks to getting rid of it? the vegetable oil didnt work either did baby oil.

Rebecca25

Asked by Rebecca25 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 19 month old still has it from time to time, i even talked with the doc about it and of course he said its normal.....the only thing that seems to help is when im washing his hair is to scrub the top of his head with a soft bristle hair brush and rinse and then repeat..
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 2:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i tried brushing it out before and it seemed like little pieces of hair came out with it so i thought i was pulling his hair out
    Rebecca25

Answer by Rebecca25 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• thier is a lotion called eurercin. something close to that. theres a regular lotion and this really thick smeary stuff in a jar. thats the stuff you want to get. work it in and then comb all the flakes out of your babys hair. it worked on both my son and my nephew. i have also heard of using mayonaise but i never did.
    binker55

Answer by binker55 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• you could cut out dairy and see if that is causing the problem. if that doesn't work you could cut out gluten.
    stop the cause, rather than treat the symptom
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• DD has to use head and shoulders a few times a month to keep her cradle cap in check. She used to get it so bad that it spread to her eyebrows, that when her doctor told us to use head and shoulders.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 4:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My 13 month old still gets cradle cap, at least that's what I still call it. What works for us: warm (not hot- it dries out the skin) baths every other night, using Huggies Natural Care soap. I put a mix of olive oil and canola or corn oil (50-50) in her hair and rub it in before putting her in the tub, and I try to leave it in for a couple of minutes. Then I wash it out, making sure I get as much of the oil out as I can. It actually works better if you leave a little oil in to kind of condition the scalp. I also comb her hair back and forth, with the growth pattern and against it if the flaking gets really bad, then I put the oil in and do it again. Then I wash her hair.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Have you tried Baby Magic? That stuff works great and smells so good!
    Anonymous

• my dr. said either selsum blue (non-medicated one) or sebulex but the sebulex really smelled terrible. the selsum blue works ok, but the sebulex worked great, but like i said it STINKS lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My 3 year old still gets it sometimes. I usually just brush it out with a soft brush after her bath. When she was a baby, I used cradle cap shampoo and a soft toothbrush.
    grace2joy

Answer by grace2joy at 10:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2010