Nose Piercing?

Lets say when we get to India and my DD is about 6 she wants her nose pierced...I'm going to let her get it done. How is this any different than little girls getting their ears pierced?

MoonLover06

Asked by MoonLover06 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I guess if you're going to live in India that would be a different culture with different norms, etc. but here in the US the difference is that ear piercing is more socially acceptable whereas having a nose piercing is not. Similar to tattoos - in a lot of job situations if you have them you have to cover them up.

Answer by missanc at 2:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• When in India, do as the Indians do, I suppose.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i hope you take really good care of it though bc it can get super swollen, i don't know how good their blood-born pathogen classes are there or if they even have to follow that stuff. make sure you use a reputable place with new clean needles and new clean jewelry (make sure you SEE them take this stuff out ot the package). and for a person that young i wouldn't skimp on the jewelry, go with 14k gold at least.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Well, it's very different from infant ear piercings! If my 6 year old wanted her ears done, I would let her do it. And I would never stop a 13 or 14 year old American daughter from getting her nose done. If we lived in idea I would see no issue with it at six - just a difference in culture. However I see a HUGE difference between this and piercing a babies ears, which tends to be what I assume when I see earing on a child.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• If she changes her mind it will leave a HUGE scar on her nose. Her teachers are not going to respect her with a nose ring and her peers are going to think it odd as well. But you are her mom so you can make what ever choice you want. I just asked my 7 year old what she though and she said she thinks nose rings look like you have a booger on your nose. lol. I'm so glad she said that!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't let my daughter. I just don't think it is appropriate for a child to have facial piercings other than one set in the ears. I have no reason why I feel that way but I do.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• FYI- it will not leave a huge scare and if it's part of the culture I see nothing wrong with it. I don't think I would get it done on my child, but maybe if it was more accepted and they asked, maybe....

Btw, I have my nose pierced and when I take it out, you cannot tell
    Anonymous

• Why would her teachers and peers not respect her when they probably have their nose done as well?
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• What does respect have to do with a nose piercing?
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 9:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My kids are also biracial, caucasian and south asian. We hope to get to India with them one day! Honestly, as a mom I think it's up to you. I would just make sure that the equipment used is sterile, like any other piercing. If I saw her (especially if I knew her heritage) I wouldn't think anything of it other than it being a cultural thing... but then again, I'm married into the culture. I'm not sure if it's all that common in Indian culture for children to have it done though... though many of my adult ILs have noses pierced, none of the children do. I guess you'll just have to see when you get there!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2010