GED

Has anyone taken this? I know that they tests vary per state. But was just wondering if it was diffcult?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in

• I was homeschooled and most colleges won't accept a homeschoold diploma so I took the GED. The local college offered a GED prep class that I took. I took a practice test and the teacher scored it and where I was weak I could study extra in, and you could take more practice tests til you felt you were ready. She even had me do a practice essay to help with making sure the punctuation was right and that it was concise and all flowed together. I passed the real test the first time and was 5 points away from getting a scholarship to the college.
    izyandchrismomi

Answer by izyandchrismomi at 2:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• It's super easy. The last full year of school that I completed was 6th grade. I took the test when I was 20 and passed without even studying. My lowest score was in math which was the 85th percentile, and my highest was in writing which was the 96th percentile.

Anonymous

• You can take a prep class at a community college

Answer by rkoloms at 2:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• We homeschooled and one of my sons took it as soon as he was old enough. We got the results back and he got an Honors GED. We didn't even know about Honors GEDs. His tuition for nursing school at Purdue was free.

My other son did not have to take the GED to get into college. He has math problems and can't pass the pretest. He passed the college where he is attending math entrance test and that was all they cared about.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• It was SUPER easy for me ... except for the math.
    Math and I are enemies, no lie. I have never been good at math and my brain just freezes up when it comes to figuring out a problem. With the other categories I scored well above the average needed. It was soo simple.

Whether it'll be easy or hard for you depends on what you are good at academically. Go to Barnes and Nobel and get a GED study guide, or test/study guide. Study for your state's GED course and see what you need to work on. Don't go in there unprepared. Make sure you know what to expect and work on the things you need to work on PRIOR to taking the test.

Every state's requirements are different. Go to New Yorks government or state education website and look up the requirments.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• They revamped the tests a few years ago. At the level they are at now, most high school graduates could not pass one without taking a prep course first. Find a prep course near you, though a lot of them have very long waiting lists right now because so many are out of work. There are also online prep courses you can take.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Jan. 18, 2010