I am 20 weeks pregnant and looking for a job. Although I know it illegal to not hire a person because their pregnant, do you think I will still be discriminated against because I am pregnant?

Asked by kyheavensmom at 1:26 AM on Sep. 14, 2008 in Money & Work

• Possibly.. However, in my town, we have a call center which hires people at all stages of pregnancy.. Are you interested in a call center environment? There are plenty of them around.

Answer by pupmom at 1:29 AM on Sep. 14, 2008

• Yes, I agree with pupmom. I wanted to get a better paying job when I was pregnant, but you are considered a liability and although they may not tell you that, they are reluctant to hire you. You should do what the above mom suggested. I would say thats your best bet.

Answer by Oldham80 at 1:50 AM on Sep. 14, 2008

• Of course they discriminate. It is horrible, but true. When I was pregant with my son I was looking for a temp job and they told me to come back after I have the baby.

Answer by perfectkitten at 4:02 AM on Sep. 14, 2008

• I was hired twice while I was pregnant. Once when I was 4 months and the other time I was almost 7 months.  The third time I was early on and didn't tell them I was preggo and as soon as I started to show I was told I was a liability and they had to let me go.

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2008

• yes. I used to work at Meijer (for those of you who don't have a Meijer it is alot like Walmart). I worked in the Starbucks inside and we hired a girl who was 8 months pregnant. It was pretty crazy because it takes a long time (esp. being part time) to train her and then of course she got paied for training... but what if she had decided to come back? and of course when she came back we had to train her again... so that was more money wasted. It really is difficult and I can understand why alot of jobs wouldn't want to hire a pregnant woman. So you just need to prove yourself that much harder!!! i wish you luck!!!!!!

Answer by mrs_banta at 6:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2008

• You can work in a home based job that is flexible. if interested PM me.

Answer by suranjana at 1:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2008