How long do babies sleep in cribs before they move on to toddler beds?

I am looking at cribs for my firct child and am not sure if I should get a convertible crib for the extra money or not. We would like to have a second child soon after our first, so I'm thinking it might just make sense to buy a cheaper standard crib since we may need the convertible back for a second baby anyway?

Are the convertibles worth it since on most you have to buy the handrails seperate for another $100 or so anyway? I'm also just thinking about storage space too since we don't have a lot. Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

JULESY113

Asked by JULESY113 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son slept in a crib until 2.5, at which point he started sleeping on a twin mattress on the floor. Our crib was given to us, so I didn't have the option, but even if we'd had to buy one, I probably would have stuck with the arrangement we have. We also have a baby who's 22 months younger than my toddler, so we also would have needed the crib back anyway (or had to buy another crib). That's also the reason we didn't get my toddler a toddler bed; we still need the mattress for the crib, and since he'll need a twin mattress eventually anyway, I didn't see the point in buying an extra mattress.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Children should be ready to move out of a crib when they are 2-3 years old. It varies for each child. When the child is too big or too active for a crib, he or she is ready for a bed. Also, when the child is potty trained, s/he needs to be able to get out of bed to visit the bathroom. If you are planning on having more children, a convertible is not the way to go.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• We went from crib to full sized bed, at around four.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Most people that buy those expensive convertible cribs don't use them past the crib state because by then they want something different.

We had our first in a standard crib and kept her in it when I had my second. We just got a second crib for our other baby. We didn't move our DD to a toddler bed until she was 3. Toddler beds are only around $50 at Walmart. We'll get her something nicer when she out grows the toddler bed, but for us the inexpensive solution of standard crib and then toddler bed worked much better.

My pediatrician recommends keeping kids in their crib until they're 3. He says if they start to climb out before then to get a crib tent.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• We bought a convertible crib for both of our children and are planning to buy another for our third.
    I prefer them, as the ones I purchased were well built.
    DS#1 slept in it as a crib until about 20 months when we removed the side and put up the safety rails (which came with the crib)
    DS#2 still sleeps in it as a crib since he is only 17 months.
    So in my opinion, they are much better. The rails that need to be purchased are to turn the bed into a full size bed which you shouldn't need for awhile.
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 3:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• In my situation my kids are 13 months apart. We need to buy my son a toddler bed, because the convertable crib we bought will be used for our daughter when she grows out of her cradle. Unless your kids are going to be years apart, buying a convertable crib isn't neccisary. Unless you're going to buy a second convertable crib when your second child moves from cradle to crib. If you can't afford both cribs, then buy your son a cheap toddler bed and get the crib for your second child.

We can't afford to buy two cribs, as they can be expensive. Therefore, we're just going to buy DS a toddler bed and put DD in the crib when she's older.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• We had 3 kids right in a row and only ever had 1 crib and it was a convertible one. My oldest used it from 7 1/2 months (when we bought it) until she was 2. At that time our 2nd child was 10 months and grown out of the pack-n-play and a friend happened to give us a used toddler bed. So they switched out. My son used the crib until he was 20 months. At that time he started climbing out so he went to a twin mattress we already had in his room. Our 3rd child was about 7 months old at the time and sleeping in the pack-n-play. She then moved into the crib and used it until she was almost 4. We converted it into a toddler bed when she was 2 1/2 and never had a safety side on it. The mattress wasn't that far off the ground. The first couple of weeks we left some pillows on the floor just in case but she figured out how not to fall out...usually (she's 7 now and still falls out of bed).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My daughter never used a crib. She co-slept and then went to a toddler bed at 12 months and still partially co-slept.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My daughter was 2.5. We didn't have a convertible crib and our second daughter came was only 16 months behind the first, but she slept in a bassinet (co-sleeper) for the first few months and since the crib was still not available when she was ready to be out of that, we put her in a pack n play. She slept there until she was 11 months or something crazy like that, but she didn't mind. And we didn't do a toddler bed -- went straight to a twin.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Thanks for all of your answers, this helps me a lot. I think I'm just going to get the regular crib and then go to a twin when she's ready with just the box spring and mattress on the floor so it's not too high. I was thinking that before but didn't know if that was considered unsafe/unheard of or not, so I feel a lot better knowing other moms do that too. (I don't think I had a toddler bed when I was little either)
    JULESY113

Answer by JULESY113 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 15, 2010