College and sahm how do you find time for both

I am going to school online now and have a toddler and husband, I cant seem to find enough time for my school work.....how do you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't know. You need to devote an average of three hours a week to homework and studying for every class hour. You may need to just take one or two classes a semester.
    Remember, no one was ever killed by a dustbunny

Answer by rkoloms at 2:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I'm currently in the same situation. I just did one class last semester, as it was my first sememster back in college since right out of HS (i'm 24 now so it's been 6 years!).
    I have three kids all under the age of 3 and i'm pregnant with the 4th.
    You definitely have to have the support of your husband and family to take care of the baby and some of the housework if possible. I'd definitely get organized. Make meals ahead of time and freeze if possible, have a routine for bedtimes for your toddler and once your son/daughter is in bed, it's time to hit the books-studying and working on assignments.
    Nap time is also a great way to get in 30 min to 2 hours, depending on how long your little one sleeps, of homework in as well.
    One of the mom's on here gave me the advice when she's doing dishes or folding laundry, she goes through flash cards/notecards that she's made with stuff to study.
    Don't get discouraged!!! xo
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 3:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i usually get up early in the morning when they are still sleep, or stay up late at night when they are sleep. When dd is watching Tv during the day I slip in the office for some reading or to complete a quick assignment. Its rough esp when you have to do research papers and your dd is crying and your husband is hungry, but you have to find balance and make alot of sacrifices with sleep. On the weekend Dh takes care of DD for a few hours while I try to play catch up if I had not completed the assignments through the week. Whats your major? how long do you have left? hopefully im done in dec so I guess a year is not too bad. GL
    kiyad22

Answer by kiyad22 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I did what you are doing, and I don't recommend it. Had I all to do over again, I would have waited untile the children were all in school. I had made a promise to my dad that I would finish school when I got married at the age of 18, and I was determined to keep it, which I did. I got my degree, but it was a very hard time to get through. The truth is that it can't be done without someone or some things having to suffer inattention.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• You get up early or stay up late. You do something productive while your kids take naps. You get your husband to watch the kids some either in the evening or on weekends - if he isn't willing to pitch in and support you, then it might be a good idea to lighten your class load or postpone school. You priortize - what has to get done now and what can wait?

I managed to get through college while working full-time and raising a toddler on my own. I had to make a lot of sacrifices for a few years, but it was worth it to me. For me it was important to get through quickly so my child and I could have a better standard of living and so I could get on with my life after divorce. You have to figure out what is important to you and your family and what kind of support you can expect from your husband and any other family members; I'm sure your parents want the best for you, so if they live near maybe they could help too.
    Anonymous

• I work part time and go to school part time. I am taking only 2 classes a semester. Sometimes the laundry waits and sometimes the dishes wait. I make large meals a few times a week so that we can eat. My SO did the dishes today and swept and mopped the kitchen. I did laundry last night which means I can study until Saturday night when laundry needs to be done again. You just have to have the support of people around you. My mom will be taking my LO on my day off during the week so that I can devote time to studying and getting my work done. I wish you luck but you will have to find balance or you will stress yourself out.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• when I was in college and my daughter was little I studied during her nap time and for a couple of hours after she went to bed at night.
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 12:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2010