How can SO get started on working from home?

So my fiance is a computer whiz. He's worked for the Army in a good position for years. We are moving to a different state where he got a job working for the Army but at a lower position but with the same kind of pay basically. It's a nice stable job and all but it'd be awesome if he could work from home. What kind of companies could he work for where he works from home most or all of the time? He has some continued education and would possibly be willing to continue to a degree and get any other training he needs, although I seriously doubt that would be necessary with his qualifications. What do you all think?

AmandaI1021

Asked by AmandaI1021 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• You can search for jobs that match your skillset and have a telecommute or remote option. Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely? If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to www.ivaa.org, www.iavoa.com, www.vanetworking.com . Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization; I also do career & job search coaching.

He may be able to pick up contract assignments here: www.sologig.com

Answer by rkoloms at 3:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• You mention he is a computer whiz. Can he fix machines? Create websites?
    Both of those services are things that people are always looking for and something he could do from home as his schedule allows.

A lot of professional people are also joining network marketing companies as a plan B. They are able to leverage their existing network of people and some are surprised that they can eventually give up their current jobs and stay home, as they really want that time freedom.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Thanks for the idea. I gave him the link for sologig.com
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Yes. He has built a few computers from scratch himself and also has done some repairing,programming to software and hardware on the side. He has created a few websites including the one for his mother's cleaning business which is quite successful. He is very good with gadgets and such in general. He's a total computer geek :p
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I have some ideas listed on my Blog:  Mavi's Home Work.

Be sure to read the work at home article series from eHow.    Work at Home Article Series

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I make extra money working online. I’ve cleared over 19k in the last year, it’s not a way to get rich, but you can avoid retail/fast food jobs by doing it. You can see what I’m doing at Free Money Online if you’re interested. (Everything posted is free

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• they dont need that crap!

* customcat2000
    Anonymous

• IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I agree Anon. If the advice is just an ad for some crap then it's not helpful. It's not really help anyway since 20,000$ is about a third at least of SO's bring home pay and we don't really have to worry about avoiding retail. And nothing is free.
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2010