Treating depression naturally...

I have been treated with antidepressants in the past for depression. I feel myself beginning to go down that road again, but would really like to avoid the antidepressants if I can. I was wondering what natural remedies, herbal remedies and the like, some of you may have successfully used to beat it. Also, can you tell me the dosages you used and how long it took before you began to notice a difference? Thanks so much for any help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Health

• eat clean, natural and healthy food. lots of water, fruits, veggies and lean meats.

stay away from sugars and other processed unhealthy food.

its amazing how a diet change can totally turn you around. I've been medicated for depression off and on for the past few years and since I started eating clean I haven't felt better mentally (and physically).

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• OP here...That already is my diet. lol I've been eating that way for a long time, just to save money.
    Anonymous

• I know one thing that has always worked for me if I start feeling depressed. Exercise!!! Natural endorphins are released, which make you feel better almost instantly, and for a while afterward. Plus, it gets your mind off of things and gets rid of some of the bad energy. It definitely couldn't hurt!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• in addition to hyper's comment, get lots of sleep, in a regular pattern. get out in the sun/light because being locked away is never a good thing, even though you may not want to get out.
    charity work is a good way to do good things for other people, but it also helps how you feel about yourself too.
    good luck, I wish you all the best xoxoxo
    Anonymous

• Good nights sleep (8 hrs is the best) get 10 to 15 mins of sun a day(with winter here. I will sit in my front or back window when sunny) eat right, exercise. I have seasonal depression and was always just put on meds. This year I talked to my Dr and said I really want to do it naturally too.

The good night sleep and sunlight has done alot for me. I eat good so that did not change much for me and I exercise 4x a week for 30 mins. So with all that I have had a good winter so far. The true test will be coming soon. It is always in Jan that I notice it.

Good luck
    Anonymous

• Sunshine.

Look at websites and books about depression, there are lots of them. Different things work for different people.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• exercise, vitamins and what about a SAD light. But if its meds that make you feel better, take them.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Have you tested your body pH? Just because you think you are eating clean doesn't mean you are balanced. An alkaline body is a healthy body. Certain diseases, conditions, syndromes, and problems just cannot occur in alkaline bodies.

Have you tried doing away with all coffee and tea and chocolate? All possible caffeine sources? Also the tannins in coffees and teas, even the decaf and green tea, can really screw up your body pH.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• try st. johns wart
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 15, 2010