My husband doesn't want another baby because....

He says that he is getting too old (He is 40, I am 32) & because he has a stressful job & travels & feels like he doesn't have enough time for our 4 year old now let alone another one. I am okay with that but would still like another baby. I am so scared that I will regret it later if I have only one. But i don't want to push the issue & him resnt me. We have a wonderful marriage! Any advice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think this is a decision that only one of you get to make. If you want another child and he does not you two need to keep talking about it until you agree with one another. One of you have to change your mind. If you give in to him you'll always bring it up later on that you wanted another baby and he wouldn't let you, and vice versa. It's not just his decision, but it's also not just your decision.
    Anonymous

• What had you agreed on before you got engaged? What's changed since then? He needs to understand that work situations can and do change, and that shouldn't be his sole basis. At 40, he's hardly old.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I think it is a decision that BOTH of you should make and BOTH agree on- otherwise there could be hard feelings or regrets. I do think that you should sit him down and discuss it, let him know that you are not wanting get pregnant right this second, but in the future, like 2 years (or whatever sounds good to you) from now you would like another child and then see what he says. And let him know that 40 is NOT too old (especially for a man), my hubs was 45 when our last one was born.
    Good luck!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• he is problay thingk he will be almost 60 when the kdis move out. i only have one child hubby has 4 and doesnt want anymore and i have agreed. i would like to adopt though and i have told him that.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:42 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• This is not an easy situation, because if you both feel firm in your convictions...one of you is going to have to lose this argument. Sit down with him, tell him how you feel, and go from there. Make a list of pro's and con's with him.
    Anonymous