Are you a christian if you don't go to church?

I did not grow up in church & my husband did. He was forced to go every Wed. & Sunday & he now does not want to go. And of course, I want my 4 year old to go because I did not. He says that he doesn't have to go to church to believe in god and to be a christian. And I don't think you do either but I think I would feel better about my life if I went & my daughter got to grow up in church! I am scared that I will regret it when she grows up! But i would really like for it to be a family affair. My husband would go if I talked him into it but I don't want to have to do that!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, you CAN be but it is very hard. You would have to pray, read the bible, and study alone. You also cant really do good christian works if you have no one to help or no one to work with you.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I think that church is not at all a necessity to be a Christian. I think that some people get something out of it, some people don't. I've known plenty of people who didn't go to church and were better Christians than some of the people that went twice a week. I wouldn't force him to go if he doesn't want to.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• so what exactly is your question..you answered it yourself. lol...if you want to go to church with your child, then go..if your husband wants to go he'll go, if not leave it be, at least you and your daughter will be going.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• A Christian is a follower of Christ. If you believe in Jesus then I think you can call yourself a Christian, but the real way of Christianity is to live to serve other people and be a decent person who lives in love without judging those around you. I went to church when i was a kid but stopped going a long time ago. I believe it has been important to who I am, but my family is still just as religious without attending church and i know many people who have never gone that are good, charitable people. It is up to you, but it sounds like you and your husband both turned out well so i'm sure your daughter will grow up with good values as well, inside or out of the church.
    RenaudN

Answer by RenaudN at 3:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i know how your DH feels. i was in the same situation growing up & now i dont go to church. i had 18 forced years of church & it was NEVER the uplifting experience it was suppose to be. i still dont see the point of going if all it does is bring my spirit down. so im a Christian & i dont go to church b/c i dont need church to be one. besides, you can teach your kids about God & Jesus way better than any bible teacher can.

ask your DH to really spell out what specific reasons he has for not going to church. something more than just "i dont want to". maybe he doesnt like the church y'all would be going to, maybe he's afraid he will become like his parents, maybe he doesnt want to spend his Sunday being preached at...but dont make him go, that wouldnt help anythin
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Hebrews 10:23-25: "Let us hold fast the public declaration of our hope without wavering, for he is faithful that promised. And let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as YOU behold the day drawing near."
    Possibly, if it's not our habit to 'gather together'?
    JWMum

Answer by JWMum at 4:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• 1) You shouldn't be scared to talk to your husband about how to religiously raise your child. You may disagree on your individual beliefs, but being in agreement about how to teach your girl is important to your marital harmony.

2) I wouldn't bar someone from the "Christian" title for not wanting to go to church; but I believe I would use the term "not practicing" or "active" Christian.
    Anonymous

• I wonder if there is more to it than he just doesn't want to go...if he does beleive in God and says he's christian- I don't think he HAS to go at all, I mean if it doesn''t make him happy to be there than you wouldn't want to force him. Has he actually said what he believes? or just agree with you that there is a god and add that he doesn't need to go...my point is that maybe he believes something different but it's just easier to say that to you
    hope that makes sense
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Yes, you can, you can also be a practicing christian without going to church. To me religion is a very personal thing and i have never found a church that i feel completely comfortable with so i dont go to church but i do consider myself a christian.
    Anonymous

• It depends. You are only truly saved if you have a relationship with Jesus Christ. If you do you will probably like church and being with other Christians. I mean there are churches that I wouldn't want to go to, and I am very lucky to have a good church to go to. so I guess I could understand if the only one near you is kooky. But still, you should have a heart to hear good Bible teaching and worship God with your brothers and sisters in the Lord.

There are Christians who have a relationship with God and can't go to "church" for certain reasons. Some may be persecuted for their faith (certain countries kill you if you are a Christian) so they hide it. Or they don't have one. Or they are in jail. Or they are in a jungle serving God on the mission field.

Does He pray and read His Bible? Anyone can go to church and still not be a Christian! Jesus said we need to abide in Him. He is our home.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2010