Where do I find information on reduced/free lunch? (OTHER THAN A SCHOOL)

My nephew qualifies for the reduced/free lunch program. He gets the free. However, he doesn’t want the lunch he just wants milk. Which is fine, but sister packs him a lunch, but she is getting charged for the milk.
She called the school and they told her that if he doesn’t get the lunch than he doesn’t get the milk.
Of course my sister asked “You’re tell me, if he gets a tray, puts the lunch on it along with the milk, then walks over and dumps everything except the milk into the trash he gets the free milk.”
The answer was YES!

My sister doesn’t want to waste tax payer money on a lunch he’s not going to eat and doesn’t need.
I want to know if that is an actual government requirement or if the lunch room people are just lazy. Where can I find this information?

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 3:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm not sure, but my kids get reduced lunch and I was getting charged MORE because they weren't putting the milk on their trays (they don't drink milk). So I told them to put the milk on their tray and then share it with a friend. It's wasteful if none of their friends want it, but I can't afford the extra $$ and I have too many other battles to fight.
    Anonymous

• The milk only costs a quarter at most schools why doesn't she just pay for him to have milk? She can save taxpayers and her child gets a milk. I am sure she can cut something out of the budget so she can afford a few dollars to buy her child milk.
    Anonymous

• Try calling the superintendant's office. That is where they make the decisions for the school district. It should be in you phone book.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 4:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• It is crazy. At my daughter's school they have breakfast in the classroom for everyone for free. One day she wasn't hungry but she wanted the juice or milk, and she had to pay for that. If you don't take it all you have to pay for the individual items you take. I think the theory or explanation was that if you weren't taking advantage of the full program they had to assume you didn't need the program at all.

You might check the website for your state's department or board of eductaion.
    Anonymous

• WOW where do you live? It's a buck or more here.
    But that has nothing to do with the question now does it?

I didn't ask for your opinion, maybe you should read the question.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 4:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Anonymous 4:05 PM, that's stupid, who comes up with these rules? All he'll wants for lunch in PB&J. He has no problem sitting at the PB&J table to eat his lunch all he wants is "white milk" He's not even asking for Chocolate! lol

My daughter loves school lunch, we pay almost $5 a day for it. When you go to any school meeting the first thing they tell you is unless you are wealthy you qualify. I wish someone would tell us where all our wealth is lol.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 4:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• free lunch? IS NOT FREE SOME ONE PAYS FOR IT AND IT IS THE TAX PAYERS WHY DOES EVERY ONE WANT FREE.. FROM ME A TAX PAYER.. TAKE THERE LUNCH IN A PAPER BAG LIKE WE DO ........... PLEASE 

Anonymous

• Answered at 4:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 by: Anonymous Umm again, not answering the question. Go be pissy and mean somewhere else.

We pay taxes and we pay for our daughters lunch, you don't know their situation and no one asked for your opinion.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 4:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

if you don't like being a taxpayer GO AMISH OR SHUT UP!! AMISH PEOPLE DON'T PAY TAXES, OR GET PA OR DO ANYTHING THAT TENDS TO PISS OF THE ALMIGHTY TAX PAYER!!! I AM A TAXPAYER I LIKE SCHOOL LUNCH, FOOD STAMPS, WIC , MEDICAID, BUT NOT WAR BUT DO YOU HEAR ME COMPLAINING. LOTS ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT PA AND ANYTHING GOOD, BUT DO THEY COMPLAIN ABOUT WAR JUST AS MUCH? THEY SHOULD BE--- WE ARE SPENDING ALOT MORE ON A WAR WE CAN NOT WIN, THEN WE DO ON PA
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 4:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Wheen I was in school and we got the free/reduced lunches, it was explained to us this way: since the food is being allocated to so and so, they want to be sure so and so gets it and that it does not get wasted (how that makes sense when we never ate all the gross stuff we got I don't know) and so that the school district continues to get the funding it needs to provide for its students. There was also a brief mention of making sure we were getting healthy food, but I ignored that b/c our school's food couldn't have been healthy- too unrecognizable! What I ended up doing to avoid getting nagged about what I did or didn't eat was pack my own. Maybe your sister could pack him his own little thermos of white milk in an insulated bag with an ice pack?
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2010