when at a buffet...

Do you still make sure your kids eat their veggies? I make mine eat a salad or a bowl of fruit before they can pick anything else because I know they will go for the mac and chz, fried chicken and mashed potatoes first. My mother said that I'm weird because going to a buffet is a treat.... I mean I guess it is we only go like 4-6 times a year but...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son has to eat his vegetables and fruits at a buffet just like any other time.
    Anonymous

• we only do brunch buffets - but yes. we make sure there's plenty of good stuff on their plates along with the not so good. thankfully they love fruit, and salads.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• We make sure it is on there plate.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i let them eat what ever after i all ready made them there frist plate with all the veggies and food
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 4:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• It isn't an issue for us. My kids all love fruits and veggies. In fact my granddaughters fav. 'dessert ' at the buffet is cottage cheese with peaches..lol.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• No - I've never really worried about it. My 9 year old loves veggies, and my 8 year old loves fruits so I know they will get some. I just don't worry about it, especially since we rarely go to a buffet.

Answer by missanc at 4:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My oldest usually piles on the veggies anyway so I don't have to worry about him. The younger ones, when their dad or I make up their plate, always include veggies. They might not finish them but they eat some of it at least and I don't make a big deal about it. Good thing they actually like that stuff!
    Anonymous

• No it isn't an often occasion so I let her eat what she wants, plus it is tiring to always control the food intake so it is a break for us aswell.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• We go to buffets all the time and they have to pick at least one veggie and have to try something different (besides pizza, mac & cheese and chicken strips). My kids actually love their veggies so they usually have more then one on their plate. It's mostly my oldest that I used to have to force. She always ate them all once they were on her plate, though. We don't really have to tell them any more. Last time we were there the 2 older kids (9 and 8) went about and got their own food while we helped the 7yo and 3yo with their plates. When we all got back to the table both kids said, "look, we picked a veggie and have a meat." The 7yo went around searching for the carrots and was happy to find some and also had broccoli. The 3yo had green beans and corn which she ate all up.
    They usually each have a bowl of fresh fruit after dinner (sometimes before ice cream and sometimes the fruit is their dessert) by request.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• At a buffet I fix the first plate and then they can have what they want if they eat my plate. For us it is a treat as well and a lot easier to get them to eat their veggies!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2010