EMERGENCY CHILD SUPPORT QUESTION

If I file for child support monday at Social Services, how long will it take me to receive the benefits. He will be traveling the country as a photographer for 3 months and will not be here for me to serve papers to him or anything. How much child support do you think i will get for twin boys 1 year of age in California???

THANKS!!

dennysgirl07

Asked by dennysgirl07 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It can take months for a support order to be instated.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 4:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• MONTHS and maybe even a year. File ASAP but don't expect anything soon hun.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 5:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• wow...FML
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Two kids, $500 monthly would be the absolute minimum. File now and you might get his tax refund. If he isn't paying willingly it might take a while to get child support. He will try to dodge but eventually you will get it.
    Anonymous

• I receive $376/mo for my two boys... took several months to get the order enforced, and now he has a balance of $1,500 back support to pay off as well. hopefully I'll get his tax return. we really need it- hopefully we'll be able to find cheap reliable transportation!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• it's takes 6mth to a yr they say for child support it only took 6mths for me to start getting mine good luck
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 5:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I live in CA it took almost a year before we saw a penny and it lasted about 6 months
    mommytothree07

Answer by mommytothree07 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Anon :06 wrote: Two kids, $500 monthly would be the absolute minimum. File now and you might get his tax refund. If he isn't paying willingly it might take a while to get child support. He will try to dodge but eventually you will get it.

My fiance pays $255/month for 3 kids. (We're willing to pay more, but she hasn't stated a need for it) In most states it's based on the combine income of both parents even if they are divorced. Also, they can only take the tax return if the order has been instated and person paying the support owes more than a certain amount (I think in my state it's $1000) or has failed to pay for a certain amount of time. And depending on the type of guy he is, you may never see it. Some guys just don't care that it will land them in jail or that their paychecks and/or unemployment will be garnished.
    BTW- These statements are based on my experiences and info for my state as I understand it.
    Anonymous

• for two kids we get 440
    mommytothree07

Answer by mommytothree07 at 5:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/childsupport/california/
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2010