OK so you tip your waiter/waitress. Do you ever tip the kitchen staff, such as the chef or anyone else on the line?

The chef does the great job of cooking the main part of your meal and others on the front line or stations make your wonderful soups/salads/sandwiches/desserts/appatizers ect...and what about the dishwasher?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• When me and hubs go to a nice restaurant (which is sadly becoming less and less) we tip the server and the cook (if he made an exceptional meal) We always tip the server obviously but only the cook at nice restaurants where my food is made special just for me, exactly the way that I want it!
    apattinson

Answer by apattinson at 5:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I worked as a waitress and a bartender when I was younger and a single mom. I tip them because most of their income is from tips. Some people might not know this but when you tip the waitress in a DECENT restaurant they are obligated to give a percentage of the tip to the bartender, hostess, and bus boy. I think thats enough as for people getting tips. Cooks, and people in the kitchen get paid much more then tipped positions, so I dont feel the need to tip them.

Answer by gemgem at 5:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• nope because they get paid more then the Wait staff....
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Most restaurants have a tip pool that the wait staff pays into. When I worked as a waitress we paid a % of our total sales into the tip pool which was split between the kitchen staff and other non tipped staff (busboys, hostesses, etc). So yes in most places I am tipping them. Also it doesn't matter if you tip or not, the wait staff still has to pay into the tip pool from your bill.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Not unless it's a buffet and they are making your omelet, crepes, waffles etc. in front of you and if they have a tip jar out, and we tip the sommelier (wine expert) if he/she happens to recommend a really good wine with the meal. And we tip at Subway and for to go orders.
    jaxvette

Answer by jaxvette at 5:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• No, the kitchen staff in most (every that I've worked at) full service restaurants are getting paid at LEAST $10 and up, even if they screw it up and are having a bad day, waiters/waitresses are making around $2/hr + tips.
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 5:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i waitress gets paid UNDER min-wage. b/c they are expected to mainly get their earnings from tips. The other stay get paid at least min-wage and in many cases more then that. Is why they do not recieve tips nor have to put up with the customers.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 5:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• other staff*
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 5:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• when you wait tables in a reputable restaurant, at the end of the night you "Tip Out"... which is, give a % of your tips for the night to the pot, which goes to the kitchen staff. so, yes... I do. So do you, even if you do not realize it. People who have lived in the lap of luxury, and have never HAD to work in such a position seem to know very little about how things actually work.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• No, that's ridiculous. So now when you go out to eat you have to tip the whole stinking restaurant? For all that, I'll just cook my own damn meal.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2010