Am I the only one who is astonished at this?

Women here complaining that the US should be helping its citizens instead of helping Haiti, Have we become a nation of spoiled brats who think we deserve it all? Do we not realize that even in our worst of days the poorest of the poorest cannot compare to life in Haiti, and that is before the disaster, imagine after.
I am really at a loss for words to describe the dissapointment I feel in man kind, through this site. Am I the only one who feels this way? Where is the love and compassion for our fellow human? Have we become a nation of selfish self centered people?

Asked by older at 5:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I agree with you. I am appalled at the callousness I see everyday on this site, but today I have seen things that really put into perspective how much we have lost as a society. We have gained so much in technology, but have lost so much in the feelings of community and need to help our neighbors.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• don't you know that the bible speaks of this time in history. it's says people will have no natural affection.
    Anonymous

• I don't agree. I have no idea what sort of tragedy has struck some of our own citizens. Perhaps people are just expressing their opinions through their experiences? Who are we to judge what other's have gone through. I am however astonished at the amount of women on here that seem to think they know everything about a poster from just one post.

Anonymous

• IT is horribly scary over there right now they need our support in anyway we can give it, they lost so much, they lost all those inoccent lives, lost their government building, hospital, police station. I hear you and I am with you.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• 2Tim 3: 1-5 sums it all up nicely. for those of you who don't read, believe in the bible or God you could just sum it up to the "me first attitude". Which ever way you look at it - to quote a friend of mine "it's rough 'round here"
    Anonymous

• If teh US helps it citizens than they are criticized for creating lazy americans
    Anonymous

• anon 5:06, it isn't just one post, there have been at least 4 or 5 if not more on the Haitian disaster. Regardless of what anyone person has gone through it cannot even begin to compare with the normal state of living of Haitians and the current one. There is no excuse for having no compassion!

Answer by older at 5:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I think that while some women are out of line in their disgust for us helping another nation, such as Haiti, in their time of need, they are more expressing their concern for the problems our own country is having. We do have it better than a lot of people in this world but we've got a long ways to go before we can just turn away from our own problems.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 5:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I want to be charitable and attribute it to youth and fear. Many of us on CM have little kids and that kind of narrows your worldview down to you and your babies. I hope that with education and the realization that there are Moms and Babies in Haiti too people will lighten up a little bit. I don't know, though. Are people really this bad or is it just easy to spout the latest crap rather than to think about it and process it? It's also pretty well understood that when people feel threatened themselves, it is easier to blame the victims of a tragedy, because then you can trick yourself into believing that if you do things differently than them, you will avoid the tragedy. Of course this is untrue.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i think we "help" our citizens a little too much. Theres really not a whole lot the average american can do to help though
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2010