Homemade baby food

I'm making most of my own baby food (steaming/pureeing/freezing) and I love it:) I'm using mini muffin tins to freeze it in (ice cube trays make the food portions too little for us), what do you use? Also, do you think it's ok to use a can of pure pumpkin and thin it out a little for baby food pumpkin? There aren't any spices or sugar or anything added, so I don't see why not...? What other tips do you all have out there?

TarraJoy

Asked by TarraJoy at 5:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pumpkin is good - my son loved it :) Avocados mashed with bananas was a favorite with both my kids. I also added the little orzo pasta to the food I made to give it texture. Sweet potatoes were a big hit - - and the "mixed fruits" - - plum, apple, pear - banana, peach - apple, mango, banana. . . . . . By 9 months my kids were completely done with all mashed foods and just wanted finger foods - - we did a lot of ground hamburger, shredded cheese, steamed veggies (I buy the bags of frozen mixed veggies - everything is already cut up :) ), and cut up fruit.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Pumpkin from a can is fine. Give your baby avacado, the only prep is to mush it. LOL My son loved baked sweet potatoes best of all.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Don't be grossed out but beef tongue is a good first meat. You cook it in a crock pot with water. Then freeze in single portion size. When it's time to eat warm it up and slice it thin.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2010