Obama wants record $708B for military next year

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama will ask Congress for an additional $33 billion to fight unpopular wars in Afghanistan and Iraq on top of a record $708 billion for the Defense Department next year, The Associated Press has learned - a request that could be an especially hard sell to some of the administration's Democratic allies.

The extra $33 billion in 2010 would mostly go toward the expansion of the war in Afghanistan. Obama ordered an extra 30,000 troops for that war as part of an overhaul of the war strategy late last year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/13/AR2010011300465.html?hpid=sec-politics

TWO QUESTIONS:

How can we afford this?

Am I the only one who THOUGHT Obama ran on an anti-war platform?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Do you know why Obama will not bring home the troops? Because if he did, Obama would have the largest unemployment rates under his belt. Why would he want a bunch of unemployed soliders home? He is keeping them employed with the military because we have no JOBS to give them once they are home. Thats why.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 7:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• No, you aren't the only one that thought that and I also have to wonder how much of that money will be appropriated to pork.  We know all too well how the dems like to sneak things that have nothing to do with military into military spending bills.

Anonymous

• I voted for Obama because he said he was going to bring the troops home.  I'm pissed that when he said we would pull out of Iraq, what he really meant was maybe one day we would pull out of Iraq, and he keeps sending more and more of our troops to Afghanistran.  He said these wars were wrong, but he continues with them. 

Anonymous

• Common sense should have told you he would not bring every soldier home from Iraq. shame on you for being so gullible for a vote. He never said he would bring troops home from Afghanistan. He supported the effort there from the get-go.
    Maybe you should have paid more attention to what he was really saying instead of getting caught up in the fluff.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• How can we afford this? Yes, Lets NOT FUND our military while we are AT WAR

Am I the only one who THOUGHT Obama ran on an anti-war platform? Than you weren't listening, he ALWAYS stated he was FOR the war in Afghanistan

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I knew he wouldn't bring the troops home, but I have to admit I hoped I was wrong about that. Lots of people believed they would see the end of the war before he was in office a year. Remember last January? Every third post was "When will Obama bring the troops home" or "Hurrah Obama will bring the troops home".

It must be depressing to be an Obama supporter who believed his anti-war stance actually meant he would end the war. Instead, all his anti-war stance meant was he didn't like the way Bush handled the war, he wasn't against the war itself.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• OP, you aren't alone.  Many, many people thought Obama would end the war. 

Anonymous

• Manco, he never campaigned on that, did you watch the debates? WHat he said was he wanted to responsibly bring to a close the war in Iraq and that wasn't something that could be done overnight. About Afghanistan he called it "the good war" and NEVER advocated bringing them home....Its one of the things I disagreed with him on then...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• OP, you aren't alone. Many, many people thought Obama would end the war.

***
    Well, I just hope those people REMEMBER this (and everything else he'll have done wrong) come November 3, 2012!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Obama's response in teh debate with sen. McCain
    it's a terrific question and we have a difficult situation in Pakistan. I believe that part of the reason we have a difficult situation is because we made a bad judgment going into Iraq in the first place when we hadn't finished the job of hunting down bin Laden and crushing al Qaeda.

So what happened was we got distracted, we diverted resources, and ultimately bin Laden escaped, set up base camps in the mountains of Pakistan in the northwest provinces there.

They are now raiding our troops in Afghanistan, destabilizing the situation. They're stronger now than at any time since 2001. And that's why I think it's so important for us to reverse course, because that's the central front on terrorism.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2010