How much are braces and what about an expander?

I have no clue.

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Braces are about 5,000. You can make payments for 100 a month, but you need a 1,000 down payment. That is generally speaking.

This is also without insurance.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the child. But it can range anywhere from a couple of thousand to $5000 or more. Most insurance does NOT cover braces anymore and if they do it's only about $1000 total.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I don't know for sure. We were told Sadie needs them, but there is no way we can afford it. Hopefully she will be able to get them when she is older.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• mine were about 8,000 dollars and this was when 10 years ago. I also needed metal appliances, rubber bands, another form of an appliance *due to my over bite*. I know in return have a 4 year old who is going to need braces!! We were just told that at her last dentist appointment! At least we have a few years to save up!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Jameson's expander was about $1000 and you have to get it checked about once a month. He will still require braces though.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 8:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• PS It was a life time orthodonic benefit and we used it all up on the expander so his braces will be completely out of pocket when the time comes. Some kids are lucky enough not to need braces if they get expanders in place in time before the teeth all come in that there isn't room for.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 8:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My braces (four years ago) were about $4600. I received a 10% discount for paying for them upfront, so they would have been more.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2010