Service Dogs?

Anyone know where to buy service dogs? What the costs are for them? If there is any funding for them? Well even a good website? I can't find anything. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• what kind of service? like a guide dog? there is funding for them. try looking up guide dogs of america online.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 6:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My DH is a freemason. They get service dogs for children in needy families. Sometimes for kids who have a wheel chair or a seizure disorder. Many kinds of service dogs. They can cost many thousands of dollars depending on the training. We're in the North Atlanta suburbs, but if you need info on a masonic lodge in your area that could help you, PM me.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• OP HERE:

My brother in law has very bad epilepsy. We have heard about seizure alert dogs. We are from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I don't know if that type of dog would be a guide dog or a service dog, as I don't really know much about this. I am trying to figure out how we would go about getting him one. He is going to be 27 years old and his seizures are becoming debilitating. He looks like a normal 26 year old male, but in his brain he is much younger. He is at the mentality of a 10-13 year old.
    Anonymous

• http://www.naservicedogs.com - they may be able to help you if you email them, or at least point you in the right direction. good luck.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 7:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Those are often Golden Retrievers. They help with doing things often like turning on and off lights, helping to cross streets, and alerting the handler to sit or lie before a seizure. They aren't trained to alert because dogs are really not able to be trained to predict something. They aren't clairvoyant. There just seems to be a connection with the dog and the handler that work much of the time.

They can be of great service to people during and after the episode. There are national epilepsy websites that can give you info on these dogs and what they do.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I found this website for you. I hope it helps and good luck.

http://www.epilepsy.com/articles/ar_1063676431
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• You can't buy them. Organizations train them and people in need apply for them. It is very selective and the wait can be long. There are some organizations that will help you train your own dog. You can hire a trainer to train your dog or even train your dog yourself.

A service dog is expected to know all the basic commands and be able to pass the Canine Good Citizen test. The dog (or animal) has to be able to help the person in at least 3 ways.

I had a service dog and he lived with us in several different apartments and was with me almost all the time for 10 years before he died of cancer. I don't know if I will ever be able to have another dog that was so in tune with my needs. He saved my life by knowing something was wrong when I had blood clots in my lungs.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2010