I have a co-worker , who based on her experience with some moms, thinks you should be licensed to have children, should you?

Should you be licensed to have children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No, but part of standard pre-natal care should include a cooking class and a parenting class (basic first aid, basic care and maintenance of an infant, etc)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• well, you have to be to carry a gun, drive a car, teach, practice medicine, bar tend....
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Sorry but parenting doesn't need to be taught...you learn as you go.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I think that every time there's a story about some parent doing something utterly stupid, like leaving a baby in the car on a hot day or nursing while driving or not using a car seat.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Ha! No, I don't think you should have to have a license, but I do feel like there should be some sort of requirements! When I see babies having babies it makes me so sad at the life both children will have. There are so many 13, 14 and 15 year olds running around telling anyone who will listen how they want to have a baby... I think anyone who wants to become a parent should 1. Have a home of their own, 2. Have an education, 3. Have an income of their own. I feel that if you are actively trying to concieve then you should be able to do it with your own finances, meaning not relying on Medicaid or WIC or FoodStamps or any other type of government assistance! Why should I have to pay for your pregnancy or your child? Thus being said, if once you've had your child, and something comes up (i.e. loss of job, home) then I understand assistance and will gladly pay my tax dollars to help you....
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 7:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Simetimes I do think so, but we (as a civilized nation) really can't do that, besides you can't fix stupid. Sometimes people are just bad parents and Darwin's survival of the fittest has to come into play.
    Anonymous

• You have to get an annual license for your pet, why not for your child?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My dad always jokes that when he and mom had me that was before you had to have a license. Since I'm the oldest, I'm the "practice" kid.

But truly, reproductive freedom is an important right. And even morons have rights.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

And as evidenced by more questions than can be counted on CM, some people are VERY slow learners. People have kids when they don't even have the basic skills to care for themselves. It's not so outrageous to expect them to grow up and learn how to be an adult, even if they don't think they need to (especially if they don't think they need to)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

But no healthcare for you low income ladies, so we can bash on you harder.

Anonymous