Do you tip more if you know you're taking a lot of time?

Say you're eating out and your party sits there and talks for two hours after you are done eating. Would you tip extra to compensate for the time spent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes, and people should if it's busy. If they would get up and leave, then the server would be making more money off the next table(s). If people sit and chat while other people are waiting for that table and don't tip extra, then essentially they are making the server lose money.

Answer by missanc at 7:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Nope. Why would I? I tip for there service....
    Anonymous

• No
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 7:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Yes, because I would feel that that would be exceptionally good service.

Answer by Bmat at 7:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• If the place is busy and the waiter/ress should have been able to turn the table but lost the opportunity bc we stayed, then yes. If i came for lunch and then stayed late and the place was mostly empty, then no. I know many shift changes happen around 3ish. I always ask my server if I am the last table and offer to cash out so s/he can go home. I worked in food service so I try to show the courtesy I wanted.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• you should...think of the other people that could have sat where you are sitting and may have left a nice tip!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Nope... I dont tip ever. and we dont order out all the time... we only go to nice restaurants with good service but it does not mean i need to waste more money on them. I waste money on good food and thats it.
    Anonymous

• Yes - - if we were there that much longer, they served us that much longer.

"Nope... I dont tip ever. and we dont order out all the time... we only go to nice restaurants with good service but it does not mean i need to waste more money on them. I waste money on good food and thats it."

This response makes me ill.  That is truly a selfish and entitled attitude to have about the people who are working for you.

TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• anon 7:56..i hope you choke on a chicken wing
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• It depends on weather or not the waitstaff had good service or not.
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2010