What would be a good Science Fair project for a kindergartener?

My 5 year old daughter is in kindergarten and on Wednesday she brought home a flier about the Science Fair in March, which is open to all grades K-5. I never participated in science fairs as a child though I always wished I had so this is something I'd really like to do with my daughter. The flier had a list of various topics but we can't choose just one. Jenna seems to like the one "Why do we have a belly button?" and "What is Fog?" so I told her I'd ask some people to help us choose.

momof2inCT2007

Asked by momof2inCT2007 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• fog would be neat if you could make some with something...something smokey..idk
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• If you go to google and type in science fair projects there are lots of websites. I looked at the first one that came up and it looked great!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• a potatoe or a lima bean and if you really want to go big do a volcano it would be alot of fun for you and you child
    Anonymous

• there was a science project that I remember, it was very simple and truly interesting. I'm not sure if I remember exactly how to do it, but it could probably be found online somewhere. OK, basically you take an egg and put it in a container, the whole egg, add vinegar, enough to cover all of the egg. Then wait, after a week or 10 days (??) it will dissolve the shell and make what is left this bouncy rubbery looking egg. I think this is something a small child could accomplish. Good luck and have fun :o)
    SJCaple

Answer by SJCaple at 10:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• the all time VOLCANO!!!!
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• A good one is one the child does his or herself.

This is the resource guide from the Chicago Public Schools: http://www.chicagostudentsciencefair.org/

Answer by rkoloms at 8:04 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms a project she can do on her own would be best. That way she is learning and will have that sense of accomplisment she did it herself. You can help but it should be mostly her. My son always did his own projects one of the few kids in the class who did they were not as perfect as the other kids but he always won the prize because he did it himself. A lot of his classmates still struggle to do their own more complicated projects now because they never did any of the work when younger.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Whatever topic SHE wants to do. This is HER project and she needs to do the majority of the work.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2010