Do you feel adoption is a "permanent solution to a temporary problem"

I see that phase thrown around a lot lately.

SandalsKitty

Asked by SandalsKitty at 8:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Adoption

• I dont think anyone would ever argue that unplanned pregancies due to rape/molestation are the woman's choice. All adoptions are not due to this or even the rare failure of correct use of birth control. (I say correct use because I think that is often the problem aIso)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• No. Raising a child is not a temporary problem.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• No, not really because it could be a lot of things. I adopted my nephew (my son now) and that wasn't a temporay problem he was being abused and was hospitalized when he was almost killed. For people who can't have kids that isn't a temporay problem. What people don't realize is that when they are giving their baby up for adoption they are doing what IS best for the child and aren't just being selfish. It cannot be an easy thing to do, sure some do it because they don't want the baby, but most know they can't give their child a good life so they let the child have a chance.
    nichole0509

Answer by nichole0509 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• no, raising a child is not a temporary problem. Abortion is a permanent solution to a temporary problem so is suicide but not adoption.
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• yes it is. i personally am pro abortion over adoption. i think adoption is horrible. not in all cases, for example the poster who spoke of adopting her nephew.. but the 21 year old girl who gets pregnant and doesnt want to keep it because shes not done with school, or her boyfriend broke up with her, or she doesnt make enough money so she gives it up for adoption, horrible IMO.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Purpul, thank you once again for your condemnation of other people's decisions.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I suppose it can be in certain cases. I have heard of people who sign away rights to their children because they could not afford them. lost their job whatever. that would be a permanent solution for a temp problem. but in general if a person doesn't feel they can raise a child and gives them up for adoption then they are finding a loving solution to the problem. not having that option would force them to abort or to keep a child they can not raise which causes long term significant problems. adoption out of foster care is a permanent solution for otherwise permanent problems. as a foster parent I have seen many cases and the ones that lead to adoption were not caused by temp problems they were long standing problems which the family did nothing to resolve. the temp problems which parentss were willing to solve lead to the children being returned home.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 7:20 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Mostly, yes it is.
    People aren't always going to be poor, and anyway, you can have a better childhood with your own family than being poor.
    Adoption comes with a hell of a lot of issues, that no-one ever tells the first mothers about.
    Adoption agencies are giving away cars and scholarships in exchange for children.
    If the women had the scholarships and a bit more help, they wouldn't need to give away their child.
    But that wouldn't maket he agencies money now would it.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 7:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• If the decision is based purely on the basis of income/poverty then yes I think it is. But clearly if a parent dies and someone adopts that isn't temporary. The dead parent isn't coming back.  And there are plenty of situations that fall somewhere in between.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Adoption is not horrible. The horrible thing is the insensitivity that is put forth sometimes from one who judges. No, raising a child is not a temporary problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jan. 15, 2010