Obama sending Hati $93. something million dollars, when the damange is only estimated at $9 million?

Don't get me wrong, if I could be helping I would. But I don't understand why a country that is already in debt over its head, is sending another country $93 million, which the damange thus far is only at $9 million. It doesn't make sence to me....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Sorry, Haiti*.
    -OP
    Anonymous

• I understand it. This is a country where people a year ago were eating mud with a little bit of meal mixed in to have something to eat. To just survive. Very little potable water. No infastructure really.. This country was pretty much a failed state that was just beginning to start to recover itself. This disaster is devastating. The extent of damage is still unknown. The capital city is almost flattened. Really $93 million is a drop in the bucket when the full scope of what it is going to take to just about completely rebuild a small country. Even though we are a nation in debt, we are still able and capable of helping Haiti. Yes we have problems in our society, but we are not a failed state, we are not completely broken. Haiti is.
    Anonymous

• In government speak after you filter money through committees and bureaucracy 93 million equals 9 million.
    Anonymous

• My boss is completely pissed about the whole situation. HE doesnt really support alot of the witchcraft and such that is common in hati. I was kinda shocked though, he is usually all about helping people even in other countries....Im glad were sending help...but i dont know, im always mixed when it comes to other countries...how many people would honestly come to our rescue??? Prayers for a speedy recovery from the dev. in Haiti......
    Anonymous

• i'll tell ya, yes this is a LOT of money to be donating, but this is where our money should be going in the first place...to major disasters. when there are no major disasters, spend a tiny amt here and there for our own problems in this country.
    Anonymous

• It will take YEARS for Haiti to get out from under this destruction. That money is just a drop in the bucket.
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 10:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I really hope he sends more than $93!! That won't go very far.
    Anonymous

• Yes, the damage is only $9 million, but that's not taking into account how much money it will take to feed, house, & care for all those displaced. It is also not taking into consideration medical care & supplies of those injured.
    That being said, I don't think we should be sending $93 million. We are too far in debt to be sending that amount of money. As much as we would like to be, we cannot afford to be the world's caretakers.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 12:22 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Do you think if something this devestating happened to the US, other countries would be offering as much relief? Doubtful. While I do agree with helping, again, I think that 93 million could go back into our countries debt, then we could start sending money to other countries to help. Who else are we going to "bail out" before there is nothing left. I doubt anyone will be there to "bail" us "out". Just my opinion.

-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• OP, I totally agree with you. Who is going to come to our aid if (God forbid) something major happens here? China?? Yea, right!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 5:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2010