Ambien & Zolft during pregnancy?

I am 38.2 weeks pregnant and my doctor put me on zoloft for depression and its my third night tonight taking it well i am also suffering from insomnia and last night was my first night take ambien and i am freaking out cause i have not had to take any drugs throughout my pregnancy till these last couple weeks, my question is, am i so far into pregnancy that neither of these drugs will do harm to my baby? I don't want anything to cause him harm or defects so any answers will be much appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• talk to your doctor about the effects of the meds on ur baby and then decide. I am bi polar and they had to take me off all my meds when i got pregnant with my son.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 8:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I know Zoloft is safe for pregnancy and Breastfeeding. I was on the genaric from of Zoloft on my last pregnancy for a month and breast feeding. I don't know about the other one. That is something you should have talked to you Dr about.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I'm on ambien too for insomnia...just barely started at 18 weeks.

The research on it shows it's dangerous to babies in the tummy when taken in very large doses, but there doesn't seem to be anything suggesting problems with small doses - which is probably what doctor has you on...I know I've only got enough for about 4 hours of sleep.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• When I was pregnant, I would not take anything that the FDA classified as C, D, or X. I would take some As & Bs, but would research the heck out of them first. I just tried to stay away from medicine as much as possible.
    I stayed off my antidepressant (5-HTP) my entire pregnancy, but went back on as soon as my placenta delivered (literally! LOL). My pregnancy was pretty rocky, but I was more afraid for her development than what the depression would do to me :/ But only you can judge what you need. Good luck!
    www.safefetus.com
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 6:08 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I was recently put on Ambien at 30 weeks. From the research I've done the only negative thing is that it causes prolonged sleep in the fetus, which isn't actually harmful.
    Anonymous

• I am currently taking zoloft and was told by my psychiatrist/not hte OB yet that if I need it he will get me an Rx for ambien. Someone else mentioned somnolence in the fetus which I have also heard/these things cause defects if taken in large doses in the early stages of pregnancy and even then the instances are quite small when compared to a regular sample of people and no medications and birth defects. I do not suffer from depression, but a very serious panic and anxiety disorder and without zoloft I can't work or barely leave the house so it has not even been mentioned to me to come off the zoloft by the docs BUT I was ordered to discontinue klonopin which is long gone out of my system now thankfully. You are the only one who can make the decision what you need based on what you and your physicians discuss, there are risks suffering from an untreated mental illness also so keep that in mind. Best wishes to you!
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 12:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2010