Benadryl during pregnancy

A friend told me today that it is ok to take Benadryl during pregnancy to help you sleep. Is it really ok to take every once in awhile? I would of asked my Dr. but would really like to take one tonight to help me sleep after 3 sleepless nights.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Benedryl should not be taken as a sleep aid.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Yes, its safe. Thats what my doctor told me to use.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• it's what my doctor said to use too

and Gailll- compare the labels of sleep aids to benadryl the active ingredient is the same! Diphenhydramine HCI
    see---> sleep aid http://www.drugstore.com/qxp150913_333181_sespider/rite_aid/nighttime_sleep_aid_mini_caplets.htm
    benadryl http://www.benadryl.com/?s_kwcid=benadryl|1568482296&gclid=COzfm7OppZ8CFRaenAodryXDJQ#/Adult_Products/Dye-Free-Allergy-LIQUI-GELS/

wow! same exact thing!
    Anonymous

• My OBGYN told me it was safe to take.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 9:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Benedryl is what I have taken my whole pregnancy to help me sleep.
    zimmtobe

Answer by zimmtobe at 9:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• the dr. reccomended it to me for sleep. you can also take tylenol pm if you want
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• OMG Gaill do your research PLEASE!! Benadryl and Tylenol PM have the same exact active ingredient and the same exact dose per pill. So yes, it CAN be taken as a sleep aid because its not different than taking a tylenol PM except for the lack of tylenol!!
    o
    OP... my doc told me at 6 weeks pregnant with baby #2 that it helps with nausea and ok'd me to take it. Another doc told me the same thing at 7 weeks with baby #3. I took tylenol PM every night of my pregnanies with baby #2 and #3 and they were both totally fine:)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 9:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• if your ob says its safe, then yes.....my OB says its okay for me to take, but unfortunately it keeps me awake...go figure..lol
    Anonymous

• Thank you guys, I'm grabbin a benadryl right now and heading to the couch (my newest bed since I cant get compy in my own bed) It usually knocks me out I just hate taking meds when pregnant. Thanks for all your answers. =)
    Anonymous

• I work in a hospital where the doctors regularly prescribe Benadryl as a sleep aid so whoever said not to use it as one is incorrect. It is also the active ingredient in Tylenol PM. (generic Benadryl- Diphenhydramine is way cheaper though- so if you just want sleep- buy that). It is safe for use in Pregnancy. I had many issues sleeping when pregnant and my doctor recommended Benadryl. For some people (like people with ADHD), Benadryl has opposite effects and will keep you awake. Also- try to take it when you go to bed- not in the middle of the night.. It last few hours and if you take it too late- it may make you feel even more tired when you wake up.
    Anonymous