Any suggestions on how to stop kids from whining?!!HELP!!

I usually just sit my kid in time out when she starts whining-which seems like it is all the time-any other suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• When my child whines I tell him that his only options is to stop or to cry, and if you chose crying you can go to your room. Almost a 100% of the time he stops.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Don't give them what they want until they ask without whining. Refuse to listen. "When you stop whining and tell me what you want, then I'll listen to you."

Answer by Bmat at 9:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I tell my 5yr old sd that if she is whining she is not talking to m, she can sit by herself until she is done then we will talk. Threatening her with the corner now when it starts, stops it about 90% of the time.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i just ignore him when he throws a fit or whines, he stops in a few seconds
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 9:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Punishment does not teach good behavior. You need to learn parenting skills that teach good behavior.

Whining is a parent taught behavior. If you don't respond to it then the child stops doing it. You can ignor it. You can tell your child that you don't understand whining. You can leave the room. Remark about when how nice it is when your child doesn't whine. Reward not whining.

You don't say how old your child is. If the child is preverbal what you call whining may be normal frustration at not being able to communicate. This is normal and will decrease as the child learns more words.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I just tell my 4 yr old that "I cannot understand you when you talk like that." Then when she corrects it I immediately answer her so she realizes that the proper voice gets MUCH better results. Good luck
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 9:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I say that I am turning my "whining ears" off and that when they use a normal voice and their words I can help them. It works everytime. My son barley whines at all now-usually just when he is over tired. If you ignore it and don't give in they will stop bc it is not working for them and they are not getting what they want.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i say in a pathetic whiney voice 'what? i can't hear you....' and refuse to do what they're asking until they ask me correctly. i do that for my nephew.... my kids don't whine lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• When my daughter gets that way I tell her that I can't listen to her until she speaks to me in her "9 year old voice". She usually stops and talks normal because she wants to be heard.
    Anonymous

• earplugs
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 6:42 AM on Jan. 15, 2010