diaper rash won't go away

dd has diaper rash that is worse than just a red bottom. She has about 6 red blotches that are open but not oosing (sp?) or bleeding. Does she need to see a doctor? I've tried several products and nothing seems to make it better or worse. Any suggestions? BTW - she is 6 weeks old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wash her butt after every bowel movement. Have you tried polysporin.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I would call the doctor and see what they say, and just to make sure it a diaper rash and not a yeast infections, they could sometime looks the same.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 9:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i would take her to the dr. bc you don't want it to get infected. did you try triple paste? that works for my kids great. then again, it might not even be diaper rash, so you'd better go to the dr. just to make sure
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i would schedule and appt! anything like that on a newborn needs to be looked at by a doctor. if you give her baths in a tub yet, you could try an oatmeal bath...just pour some old fashioned oats in a small sock and tie it up, crush it, and put it under warm water and squeeze the sock till the water gets cloudy. oatmeal is very healing for the skin. works on my son every time. also make sure you give her plenty of air drying time between diaper changes. I hope it heals soon! go see the dr.!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• have you tried good ole corn starch it doesnt have to be baby powder corn starch can be the stuff you buy at the store for food my son had some terrible diaper rash for a week we used butt paste an destin and the butt paste worked a lil bit but we added the corn starch on top of it and it cleared up in 2-3 days...but of course if it doesnt clear up after a couple more days do take him to the doc just to see what else it could be gl!
    Anonymous

• I'm with the other ladies, you need to call the dr. It could be a yeast infection. If you wanted to try something before taking her to the dr, by plain yogurt and use it as you would use diaper cream. But try to only get in on the outside area. I've heard it works great. Something to do with the bacterias and stuff in it. But I would go with calling the dr. Hope she feels better soon!
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• The ped can write you a script and it will help. Also ask the ped about possible allergies if they are using formula. Or if you are breastfeeding, look at what you are eating and try to find culprits. Does the rash occur more frequently after you eat something in particular?

Let their butt air dry for a period each day, maybe 30 minutes. Just put them on a blanket and a towel so in case there is an accident, or put a cloth diaper under them.

Also explore the types of wipes and diapers you are using. Maybe they are causing an irritation? If there are open sores be sure to use wipes that do not contain alcohol because it will just dry them out and make them hurt more. A warm wash cloth with some witch hazel works nicely, or just a warm cloth if you don't want to introduce anything else until you know the problem. Bath soap can also irritate so avoid using anything with perfumes or dyes, go for sensitive.

GL!!
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 10:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• When our second born was about 3 months old she got a horrible diaper rash. I didn't everything I knew to do, ointments, washing, airing out etc. and it just seemed to get worse. She would get little blisters and then they would open and it would spread. I took her to the doctor and found out it wasn't something external but rather and internal bacteria that was causing the diaper rash. He put her on some meds and viola it disappeared!! Luckily it never came back. I agree with the other moms, take her to the doctor and have her looked at, it could just be what my daughter had.

Good Luck!
    Michellek89

Answer by Michellek89 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I had the same problem with my daughter and I changed her brand of diapers and was trying all the diff ointments I could get my hands on. I even took her the er and all they said was to keep her as diaper less as possible. The rash did finally heal once they included yeast rash meds to go along with it. We are still having rash issues even now. I have changed from huggies to pampers and I use Aquaphor< u can buy at walmart, it is in the hand lotion aisle, pricey but works wonders> and Johnsons cornstarch powder.
    missourimommy81

Answer by missourimommy81 at 11:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• contact dr. could be a yeast diaper rash. You need a script for ointment that is the only way to get rid of a yeast diaper rash.
    Kawolsky

Answer by Kawolsky at 11:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2010