? about last name

Me and the babies father are not married but we want the baby to have his last name, how hard is it to do this, is it as simple as just putting it on the birth certificate?

junebutterfly

Asked by junebutterfly at 9:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yep, you just put it on the birth cert.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• yup
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Yep! Congrats!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 9:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• no, its not that simple. where i live the father has to have a valid ID with picture. My sons father did not have one so he did not get his name
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• for me it would be that simple, but you can ask the nurse while you're filling out the paperwork in the hospital. you should have it straightened out before you leave (plenty of time lol)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I am in Texas, and it's as easy as putting the name on paper. No questions asked.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• In Illinois you can just put the name on the paper, no questions asked. I did that when my daughter was born.
    Anonymous

• if you're married it's not that easy, the person you're married to has to sign an affidavite saying they don't care who's name the child gets. but that doesn't give the birth father custody rights, the man you're married to STILL has that.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i live in arkansas and no its not hard pic id and a notary stamp a licenced notarizier has to be prsent when man signs the birth certificate
    mom198005

Answer by mom198005 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yes I'm pretty sure it's that simple. He MAY have to sign an affidavit, but that might only be for him to get his name on the birth certificate (which I imagine you're doing anyways...)
    Anonymous