When you were in labor did you wait around too long to go to hospital and not make it in time?

I would like to not rush to the hospital when I'm in labor, and I know that they say wait until contractions are 5min apart, but I'm worried I'll wait too long. How did it go for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• depends on the situation honestly if your water breaks go in right away since there is a high risk of infection but if your just having contractions yeah you can wait awhile before you go in ... in my case my water broke so i went in right away yea i sat and waited awhile but i got an epi 6 hrs into it an went to sleep so it wasnt too bad
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 10:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• How fast/ slow did your mom give birth? Many women, but not all, give birth much like their mothers. Every baby and every pregnancy is different, so you really can't predict it.

As you get closer, ask your doc or midwife for an opinion. They have a lot of experience and might be able to gauge your speed based on your symptoms, dilation, etc. But again, babies are such a mystery.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Mine were 2 minutes apart by the time I got to the hospital (an hour after they started), and I still had another 7 hours of labor.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• This is OP; I forgot to mention this is my second (but I was induced with first so I didn't go through this with him) and I was only in labor for 7 1/2 hours.
    Anonymous

• My labors were 5 and 3 hours. We made it with plenty of time to spare each time.
    The first labor, I went to a hospital about an hour away. My contractions started out right at 5 min, we timed them for close to an hour while waiting for a call from my midwife. We left for the hospital (funny how it only took us 30 min to get there with dh in a panic, lol), got all checked into a room and everything in plenty of time. I started to ask for pain meds around 4 hours into the labor and the nurses and a resident were all surprised when they checked me and I was already at 10. The oncall dr was at the delivery since my midwife wasn't on until morning and she didn't expect things to go so quickly
    The second labor & dlivery were at a hospital 5 minutes down the road. I timed contractions for an hour, took our 2 yr old to the neighbor's house and sped off to L&D and delivered after being in a room for about an hour and a half.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I waited at home... 2 hours after my water broke with my first... and still didn't have her for another 5 after getting there. Went right away when my water broke with my second (thinking she would come faster)... waited 6 hours for her to come... and my 3rd I was there all freaking day! :)
    PennStateMomma

Answer by PennStateMomma at 10:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• misconception is that you should go in if your bag of waters ruptures because of an increased risk of infection- you're MORE likely to contract an infection in a hospital than you are in your own environment.
    I cut it close with the last one, but we were about an hour from the birth center (he was not born in a hospital) and my ex didn't believe I was in labor. got there in time to climb into the tub with head already crowning and push.
    The longest I have spent in hospital before birth was 2 hours, and that was only because we lives a ways away and I was walking around trying to get things really going (had already labored for 40 hrs)... I waited until I could no longer speak through contractions to go into the hospital with my first two.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I was induced with my first two and had a 2 1/2 hour and a 4 1/2 hour labor. This time I went into labor at about 2p and my contractions were instantly 4 minutes apart and lasted long enough but didnt hurt. After 3 hours I went to the hospital because i was afraid of not making it on time. Within 8 minutes of getting there, my water broke in the bathroom (as I was changing into the gown) I was still in labor for another 12 1/2 hours after that!! It was a crazy long labor but I would rather play it safe that sorry and go in earlier rather than later
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i almost didn't, but i'm also the type of person who thinks it's ok to labor and birth at home.
    the risk of infection from the water breaking comes from everyone checking your cervix. each time they check you, they are pushing whatever might be at the opening of the vagina back towards the uterus. if no one is checking you, then it's harder for the bacteria/viruses to get up there.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i went when my water broke. got to the hospital at 3am and had my son at 344 am. i didn't want to labor at the hospital seeing as they want to keep you in bed.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2010