How long had you had a cough while preggers?

Ive had this bad chest congestion for a week already without taking cough medicine because im pregnant. Ive taken herbal teas, cough drops, and vicks vapor baths!!! Still feeling pretty sick and its already been a week. Anyone have any other ideas?Ive been to the doctors but they just basically said bedrest and everything that ive been doing already.

AmandaPina703

Asked by AmandaPina703 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i had a bad cough and serious allergies the WHOLE TIME! nothing helped i just had to deal with it
    Anonymous

• I've had a cough for at least 2 months.. I'm finally going to the doctor about it on Tues.. It's not all that bad until nightfall hits.. especially when I'm lying down. I got a bit wheezy tonight so I REALLY REALLY hope my childhood asthma isn't coming back!!!!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Make sure you drink plenty of fluids. It helps loosen the congestion.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I had a bad cough specially at night for over two weeks while pregnant this last time. My dr told me to take claritan or zertec. It really work. Even though I was only coughing with no other symptoms it was cause by my sinuses draining. Try some allergy meds. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids like water too.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 7:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    Feel better