How should I approach my sons Pre-K teacher after having a disagreement?

For the last 2 weeks I have been getting a really bad vibe on my sons Pre-K teacher that I once thought was the best. Today I pick up my son and usually I would ask how the day was but have stopped asking for the last 2 months since I thought I was a bother. So she pulls me aside and says that a sub took over for a bit and during nap time my son was a bit disturbing to others and was kicking his feet and humming and was told several time to stop. When his teacher came back she was made aware of what he had done and screamed at him for what he did wrong. Ok so she told me what had happened and I was upset at my son for his behavior but she didnt stop there. She threw in the fact that I am late at times and blames me bringing him late make him believe he doesnt have to follow rules! I dont see how that comes in play. What 4yr old has concept of time?? She did apologize but I dont know how to face her tomorrow! Im really upset!

shorty2gees

Asked by shorty2gees at 10:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would walk like I owned the place...its not her place to talk to you like that.
    Anonymous

• umm maybe you can talk to her supervisor.. or just tell her nicely, but blunt how she made you feel
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Anything having to do with schools and teachers are a loosing battle. Your best bet would be to just get over it. Don't bother with her what so ever. Get your son to school on time so she won't have anything to complain about. Teachers these days think they are something else and they are not. They do not deserve respect because they do not give it. Ignore her for your sons sake, unless it is something important. Really doesn't sound like he did anything wrong to me. They have got to get over themselves.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Thanks Ladies for such promp answers!! What I couldnt fit in was also when I saw her getting out of hand..I said to her umm you know ..it looks like you had a bad day so maybe you should sleep on what you really want to talk to me about and we can talk tomorrow..but she continued. After her apology I made her aware of why I had suggested for her to stop where she was earlier in the conversation so that she would have not had to apologize. I also said because I really dont want you to feel some kind of way about my son. Im afraid she is not gonna treat my son very nice and then I would have to come out of character! So ladies should I drop him and leave it or should I ask to speak to her and clearly state how I feel? or Should I just leave it as if nothing has happened?(That is gonna be Really Hard!) My only fear is her mistreating my son.
    shorty2gees

Answer by shorty2gees at 10:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• just give her a smirk when u see her...besides most 4 yr old act like that at times..my son is 4 and he will not take a nap and to be told to lay down and shhhh he would get antsy. i myself would have looked at her right after she said that and would reply with maybe its your teaching skills.. or maybe the fact that he isent stimulaed enough durning the day to be tired and actully take a nap. ( i have nothing agents teachers have met wonderful ones but once or twice i have met someone who shouldnt be working with what was the word she used......ohhhh turds...nice huh. i have respect for teachers and they dont get paid enough to deal with all they do so please dont bash me for anything i said..
    Anonymous

• get an apple or a single flower and when u see her say i hope today is better but i would also like u to know this is how u made me feel and i also feel like this could affect my son which is unprofessional and i shouldnt EVER have to woory about that when it comes to teachers and schooling for my son. with that being said have a wonderful day and i will see u when its time for pick up..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• or even have your son make a picture for her with the meaning of sorry. helps to be nice to a point that way she can never say u were out of line, good luck. i have been there. my dd was treatend to be kicked out because she also didnt nap. i also paid 100 a week for this summer program. needless to say she was there for the summer but the next summer when they called me to see if she was coming back i said no we found a wonderful place she really loves going to now..thank u and good bye.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• There was so much I really wanted to say but I was the bigger person with respect to her as a person.Forget being a Teacher! I have respect period! But................there a line and limit to what I will allow you to Bash me with. By all means am I upset of how she was complaining or what she was complaining about my son. Its how and what she added to it that I am upset about. Yes. You are 100% right on what to expect of a 4yr old and I honestly think she just had a miserable day but I will Not and CANNOT let her get away of thinking what she said was appropriate! Hmmm trying to gather my thoughts before the A.M.
    shorty2gees

Answer by shorty2gees at 10:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Thx Tabby!! Sounds like 2 Great ideas!! I will most def. use your words!! Thx!!!
    shorty2gees

Answer by shorty2gees at 11:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• So here goes my experience as a teacher...When I used 2 get a sub 4 my kids, there's was always 1 r mr that would act out. It's expected. Teacher's not there so rules go out the door (unless u have a sub w/ gr8 experience, then that's another story....but most of the time it's subs w/ subbing experience). The 1st day back I would come back 2 my room n 1) my stuff would b out of order (sub would write on my white board w/ a permanent marker r I'd b missing things-stickers, markers); 2) I'd look at the lesson plan (that took me hrs 2 put together) I had left n noticed that sub didn't get 2 everything cuz s/he decided 2 take 4EVER on coloring; then 3) the kids were acting up (icing on the cake:) So with that in mind...I think it WAS an attack on u personally. I always had gr8 people skills n never had problems w/ parents, while my partner was like ur son's teacher, crude. Shes a gr8 tchr but needs 2 no when she's out of line!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 15, 2010