Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Special Needs with no Diagnosis

My girlfriend has a 11 year old DD with several problems, sometimes she has Autistic tendencies, sometimes ADHD tendencies, other times something else. She started middle school this year and is failing almost all of her classes. She has been trying to get the school to do testing on her since 1st grade but the school won't do anything about it. What she is looking for is other moms or groups that deal with these same kind of problems. Anyone have any ideas for her?

Answer Question

Asked by lrkasper at 10:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • since it's been such a long time i would have thought that she would have gotten her daughter tested herself by now.

    Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • She can go to the Dr and have her tested.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • I'm dealing with the same thing with my 5 yr old son. The school will not test him either so I started taking him to the doctor myself. I know it's a pain in the butt but she is probably going to have to get the testing done herself. Have her talk to the doctor and see what he suggests. Hopefully she'll have better luck than we are having right now.

    Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • She has been through the doctor and had her tested but nothing came out of it same with the school. The problem is when the daughter goes in for testing she is perfect. She plays the system really well. I have seen her without the act on and she can get super violent and have these major outbursts and then later does not remember anything about it. Mom has tried everything and can't figure out what is going on.

    Answer by lrkasper at 11:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • She needs to advocate for her child; at the minimum he should have an IEP (this is the law, I believe). Have her contact the legal department of the Board of Education.

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • Thats tough if the child is manipulating the system and passing the tests. As long as she is passing the tests it sounds like she could very well be manipulating the mother. How is her home life? Has mom spoke to her pediatrician or a psychiatrist about her behaviors? Is the child on any medication? My daughter took testing outside the school because they tested her at 7 and their ideas of testing is a joke. We had a neuropsych do a full eval. Cost us $2000 out of pocket because our ins wouldnt cover it but we did it to know for sure and im finding out now @ 13 even he missed something!


    Answer by Sandyr911 at 7:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • The Mom needs to take it to the legal department at school. By law the school the school has to do the testing. What kind of doctor it she taking her daughter to? She needs to see a a psychologist, a developmental pediatrician or a pediatric neurologist -- but the most important thing is that the expert she chooses has experience with and knowledge of autism spectrum disorders. We had to go through in TX. When we moved to SD this past summer it was night and day. The school system really came through for our son. My son has autism and he is 4.

    ~ marisa

    Answer by sunshine80 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • Mom needs to go into the school and DEMAND a date for testing. She needs to keep asking until the testing is done. This has gone on long enough for the mother to do nothing. She can also call the special ed department of the school system/district and talk to them, they will set it up. She can threaten a lawsuit too. Her only other option is to have the testing done herself, and that will cost a lot of money.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • ya its the law"no child left behind"she has to be dd has an iep.demand to have her tested.its your right.why wont they test they think there is nothing wrong if thats the case it doesnt matter the child still has to be tested upon request of the parent.either that or the school has to pay for out side testing.usually the school will do it with no problem.

    Answer by cleo1977 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • call easter seals another is her pediatricion can order testing

    Answer by mom2snsb at 12:01 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.