paid relocation

My dh and I really want to move back near our home town. We are both recent college grads (within a couple years) and haven't really had jobs where we have had to negotiate salary. Anyway, is it common to find a job that pays for relocation? Especially in this ecomony? If it is not offered, can it be negotiated in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would doubt it. Not at this time. There are so many looking for work, I don't think they would want to dish out extra money to move you. Now if you were already employed with them I would say YES.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Paid relocation is up to the employer you cant just say I want you to pay for me moving. SOME jobs will offer to help with relocation but not pay it all. I know with my husbands job if you transfer on your own you get nothing. If they transfer you they pay up to 2300. If you apply for management then they will pay to relocate. It is up to the company and not really something you can use as a bargaining chip

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I have noticed that jobs that would pay for relocation a couple years ago are no longer paying for it. I often look to see what jobs are available in my field across the country. I was looking last night actually and I was surprised that Federal government jobs in my field are no longer paying for relocation and neither was a job working for General Electric. If you can find a job that offers it, that is great. But I have to say a company will likely hire someone in their area and not have the expense of moving a new employee. There are so many people applying for the same jobs now that they can afford to be picky.

FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 11:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My DH works for an oilfield company and they paid to relocate us from Canada to Arkansas.I think it depends on how specialzed the job is.
    boogernoodle

Answer by boogernoodle at 12:21 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Paid relo is more common in professional services firms. You should both reach out to your Linkedin Networks for contacts in the new city.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• See if it's part of the benefit package.

Your question: If it is not offered, can it be negotiated in?  Yes, it can if they really want to hire you; just depends on the company. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• If you are looking for white collar jobs you can find companies that will pay for you to move. We relocated in April when my husband found a job as a senior executive with a new company. They paid all moving expenses even packed our belongings and moved our cars. We stayed in a hotel for two weeks until our rental was ready and our cars and belongings arrived. They paid for our food and a rental car during that time. We had to sell our home so they paid our mortgage until we could sell. My husband negotiated a few things most was their standard relo package. If you are looking at blue collar jobs will be harder to find that. Good luck to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2010