How do you discipline a 2 yr old?

She laughs everytime I say no, or repeats everything i say. she wont stay still for the naughty chair, HELP!!!!

bella021

Asked by bella021 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are you totally against spankings? If my kid does that, I just pop him on the butt. Not hard enough to hurt, he doesn't even cry, but he knows I mean business.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• you have to be consistent with the time out chair. if she gets up, put her back. no matter if it takes 50 times. i just got some information from my doctor today at my daughters 2 year check up about time outs. My daughter does the same thing, she thinks everything is a game. Well, I started implementing time outs and punishments today. It takes some time and patience, but repetition definitely works. Don't give in on the "naughty chair".
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I agree with the "naughty chair". You have to first break through the initial barrier of her trying to resist, which she will do until she figures out you won't give in. Put her back in the spot, without saying anything at all, until she stays there. It may take 10, 20, 30 times the first time but she will eventually get the picture.
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I have two year olds, PATIENCE and KINDNESS are your best tools at this age.... Also, read "SuperNanny" book, it is great!!! I've bought a lot of books and so far, that is by far the most helpful for discipline that works! My two year olds are now very nice to each other and show respect and kindness. It takes ALOT of repetition on your part, A LOT of patience on your part.
    And P.S. We don't spank either!! We get results the longer but more lovingly and respectfully toward our children, try to understand why they are doing it, and talk to them a lot, explain things to them a lot, they want to "learn" but they are only 2 and it takes time, consistensy, and patience on your part. Like I said, read that book, jo frost is very helpful and doesn't hit or spank either. Always remember to respect and be kind to your little one too. Good Luck!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I use the corner alot because thats how his daycare has to do discipline the toddlers obviously they don't spank, so it works for our two year old, i do pop him on the bottom sometimes but i pick and choose when the right time for that is i don't always do it only if it's something i may have told him not to mess with a thousands time so i will pop him for it and send him to the corner for about a min and then he says he's sorry and he is completley fine after that, the twos are really hard!!! GOODLUCK
    RCPerry511

Answer by RCPerry511 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• There is a book by Thomas Phalan-- it is easy to do easy to read and it works it is called Magic 1,2,3 please get it any try it it works GREAT
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2010