How would you handle this situation?(about dinner at a friends house)

I am going to be getting baptized into our new church on Saturday. Our Pastor and his wife have invited us to lunch that afternoon after church. The problem is that many members of the church are vegetarian and we know our pastor will be serving vegetarian food. My husband was raised "meatarian" and he does not eat vegetables but we don't want to insult the Pastor's wife. Would it be better to politely refuse the lunch or should we go and make the best of it? How should we act if we go and is there is nothing my husband can eat? Please do not underestimate my husbands hatred for vegetables. He puked just trying to eat some vegetarian pizza.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• If you feel your husband is going to throw up because of eating this stuff, then I wouldn't go. Tell them thank you for the offer, but you have already made plans with the family for after the ceremony. Politely say that you will take a rain check on the offer for sometime in the future. Usually the rain checks never cash out, so you won't have to worry about it. Or you can be honest, and tell them your situation. I'm sure they wouldn't want to put you or your husband in a situation where you are uncomfortable, or not able to eat and enjoy yourself.
    Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My husband is the exact same way...it really sucks! Anyway, I think you should definately go and he should just deal with what ever happens.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 10:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I'd tell him to be a big boy and eat his veggies. He can always take small portions and nibble. I'm sure there will be bread and cheese and plenty of "good" things for him. Mac and cheese is vegetarian. Mashed potatoes are too. People who don't like mac and cheese need intervention.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• You need to go and he needs to either find something he can eat nicely without pulling the "I'm gonna puke face" or not eat at all. This church is welcoming you into their fold, you need to go and your dh needs to suck it up for the time being.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I guess it depends on what kind of lunch it is. Is it just the pastor, his wife and your family? Or is it an all church thing? Is it sit down and be served? Or more of a buffet type thing? If it's an all church thing, or a buffet style, there is usually a couple options, or something he could at least choke down! lol.. and that type of thing also gives him an out since you probably wont sit with the pastor and they wont see him eat very little or nothing at all. If you really don't want to risk there not being anything for him to eat, you could say that you have planned a special family meal to celebrate. Of course, you should actually plan one since it would be wrong to lie, especially to a pastor! :) Good Luck!
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I think it would be polite to go, and your husband will need to either be a big boy and eat his veggies or come up with a good reason to tell your hosts why he won't eat.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I think he needs to put on his big boy pants and go and eat the food that is served and be thankful for it.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• if he doesn't eat his veggies he doesn't get desert. if the pastor and his wife aren't vegetarians there will probably be something for him to eat.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Your husband needs to suck it up, act like a man, and eat the food, this one time.
    Anonymous

• Have him eat a big breakfast and sneak a snack in the vehicle, then just nibble on bread and what have you at the lunch.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2010