Pros and Cons of Mirena?

Planning on getting it Jan 29th. Just want to see what everyone else thinks about it!

mrsmilander

Asked by mrsmilander at 10:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Cysts - my girlfriend got one and it is due to mirena. Know there was thread a few days ago on this and one one had anything good to say about it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i second cyst- had one that burst was was really painful. Also had unexplained abdomen pain that finally went away when i made them take out the damn thing.
    -- also been without it for a year and few months and still can't get pregnant again.

pro--no period, no pills to remember.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• o lord i just got one put in on dec. 14th and let me tell you it hurt so bad i thought i was gonna pass out. and i am comparing it to 48 hours of induced labor without any meds. when i tell u it's the worst pain i ever felt in my life when they put it in. i have been bleeding and getting cramps for almost a month now. the pros are supposedly you won't have to worry about getting your period or pregnant or anything but i can't testify to that since ijsut got mine put in. we'll see
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• It has hormones. Some people don't do well with hormonal BC. All IUDs have an increased risk of bleeding and infection. Also, if you choose to get an IUD and you feel that something just isn't right and are having pain, insist on an ultrasound. They can migrate and stick into your cervix or uterus. Most of the risks are uncommon. Your doc can give you a list of all know side effects. You can prob read them on the product website.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• The hormones in Mirena are far lower than the hormones in BC pills and rings and patches. I cannot take hormones due to a medical condition- but I am allowed to have a Mirena. There are risks- but every form of birth control has a risk. I love my Mirena. I found it to be uncomfortable to have it placed (not horribly painful...). Once it was in- I was crampy for a few days, but nothing horrible. I also had spotting on and off for a few weeks. I have now had mine about 2 years. I periods now and then- but they are so minimal- I love it. No cramps, no worries, I love it!!
    Anonymous

• i have it!!! it works wonders i had it for almost 2 years and have not gotten preggers!!! i find myself moody allot and i actually been thinking about getting it taken out! on the downside periods are light and less my periods are 2-3 days long!
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Ive had mine for 2 years. It didnt hurt me when I got it put in. I didnt gain weight or get pimply. I was trying to lose a few pounds and I noticed that its harder then it normally is......No periods for me though.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• if you want an IUD & don't want to deal with hormones, get the Paragard - it's a copper IUD. I just got it inserted this past Monday.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 11:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Let's see...hutst like HELL to have put in
    I broke out in a rash over my chest for a few hours afterwards
    Pain like transition in labor for a few days after placement
    Cysts
    Non stop bleeding. I bled from March to July when I had had enough and had it removed.
    Infection after infection, had to be on meds...and had a bad smell I never had before in my entire life.
    I know everyone is different, but that damn thing almost cost me the fertility I was trying to preserve for later babies. I would not remcomend it ever.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2010