a seperate mirena question for those who have also had paraguard

I had a paraguard IUD for 8 years...had it removed in 08, preg in 09. Now I am going to have another IUD put in but my doc recommended mirena. Just wondering if anyone has had both types. If so, which was your preference and why?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 10:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Health

• I know you wanted the difference between the other and Mirena. But i want to tell you how horrible of a time I have had on the mirena. The weight gain, hair loss, acne, bleeding for 2 months at a time, sore tatas, I could go on forever. Just be careful. i hate mine, and I'm getting it taken out as soon as my husband's vasectomy "specimen" is given the all clear. I'm not trying to scare you but I'm a very blunt person. The last almost 2 years of my life have been hell.

Anonymous

• I don't recommend the Mirena but I had a bad reaction to it. I can't tolerate birth control pills because of the hormones either. I had Mirena for 8 weeks and I felt awful the whole time. I gained 10 pounds, my hair was falling out & I was exhausted all of the time even if I slept 10-12 hours. It made me depressed & very emotional, like constant PMS at its worst! I also experience vision problems. I didn't connect that the way I was feeling had anything to do with the Mirena and was tested for thyroid disorders until I started doing research on side effects of the Mirena. There are several websites & forums that address this and it seems that many women experience the same reactions. Once I had it removed all of the symptoms went away. It might work fine for you, but I recommend that you do your research in advance and ask your doctor extensively about questions you have. Just google "Mirena side effects" and start reading!
    P4Perfectionist

Answer by P4Perfectionist at 5:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2010