When do you trust your 4 year old to wipe on their own?

My daughter is almost 4. She wipes herself on the potty when she pees- but I help her get her butt if she poops. At what point do you trust kids to wipe back there on their own?

Greenbeans422

Asked by Greenbeans422 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i wipe my son and hes 3... its cute because when he goes potty he wipes but when he has a bm i wipe and i have him bend down and he goes ok mommy i bend down
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• my 4yo son wants me to wipe him but i think 4yo is plenty old enough. they will be going to kindergarden next year and you don't want them to be inexperienced in case they have to poop at school. i get my son the wet wipes, but he does it with the paper too if we run out.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My son still needs a little help and he's 6, but it's only once in awhile. He started doing it on his own without help at home when he was about 5 1/2. When he was at home he would sit on the toilet and yell for someone to come help but he feels comfortable if there are wipes available. I wouldn't have trusted him to wipe good at 4 by himself. He'd have poop everywhere.

I remember my sister at 5 sitting in the bathroom yelling for someone to "come wipe my butt".
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 11:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My son starting insisting on wiping himself when he was about 3 and a half. ...well, he got lazy and i had to remind him to wipe his butt. I kept telling him if he didn't wipe his butt he was gonna get an owie. ...sure enough one night he had a deep red rash in his crack. lol ...he remembers to wipe his butt now.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Forgot to add that if he was at school, he would wipe on his own but his under wear would be nasty that night at bath time. Yuck. Thankfully he doesn't go poop too often at school, if at all.
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 11:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I used to give dd an M&M when she went potty, and now she only gets one if she wipes herself. She's 4 and in preschool, and if she has to go at school, the teachers aren't in the business of wiping butts. It grossed me out to let her do it herself and make a mess, but she has learned. We had to go over how much tp to use, and then be extra sure she scrubs her hands after. Sometimes she still wants me to wipe her, and I think it's all laziness. Unless she has diarrhea or something, she can handle it.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I should add that my son's underwear is never nasty and now that he had that unpleasant experience he does just fine wiping his butt and he just turned 4. My other son just turned 5 and he's been wiping his own butt for a long time now.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• my son is three and knows the drill...he bends over and hollers for mommy. i let him wipe after i am done so he gets the idea. i'll wipe him as long as it is needed.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Hope this is not TMI, but my oldest was a pro by age 5. I think it was because her diet wasn't as high in fiber as it should have been. She usually had very firm BMs that were not very messy. My youngest who is 4 has more fiber in her diet. Her BMs are not as firm, she still needs help wiping most of the time.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• MY son is 3 1/2 and i've let him wipe himself prabably sice he turned 3 i'm not saying he don't sometimes has streeks but i keep wipes in the bathroom and i remind him to wipe till he sees no more on the wipe he has to learn and how else but to practice
    Anonymous