Pregnant again :) Need some help

I have a 16mo DS and am pregnant with baby number 2 (end of my first trimester). I was wondering if there are any board books to help my toddler prepare for a new sibling? How did you talk to your little one and when?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 11:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We started right away talking to our dd about a new little sibling. Our girls are just shy of 2 years apart, so I think Becca was about 15 months when I got pregnant with Julia. I don't remember any board books, but we had lots of new baby books. There's one called "I'm a Big Sister" that was probably her favorite. I think there's an "I'm a big brother" one too. The author and illustrator are Joanna Cole and Maxie Chambliss. They also have a good book called "when you were inside mommy"
    Lots of kids' characters have had books where there is a new baby - Dora's family had twins, Angelina ballerina had a little sister, there's "A baby sister for Frances" too. Sorry I don't know much about little boy characters. Mister Rogers had a book called "The New Baby" which might be out of print now, but it's worth looking for on Amazon or Ebay. Good Luck! :)
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• One piece of advice I will always remember --

Tell your little one that the baby is "His or her" baby, let your little one(s) take ownership. Let them be part of it, help, know that it belongs to them (in their understanding) Let them know it's their baby by the way you refer to it.  When "your baby" gets here... We love "your baby"  etc..  I thought that was awesome advice!

I know a mother (my mother) that used it on all of her kids, it worked wonderful and each time, it was "their" baby... HOPE this helps!!! and Congrats also!!

Mommy--

Answer by Mommy-- at 12:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Wish I had a better answer, but my son (youngest) lived in his bouncer on top of the dining room table so that his sister wouldn't poke his eyes out (she is 11.5 months older than he is)... she was poking the out of love of course.. LOL...
    That was the only adjustment issue we had... she took to it naturally... She wanted to poke and prode, but I believe that was really out of natural curiosity.
    PennStateMomma

Answer by PennStateMomma at 12:56 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yeah - my 2nd and 3rd were 18 months apart and he basically paid no attention to her whatsoever until she was old enough to play with (around 10-11 months?). We didn't really have any transition problems. I also have a little one now who will be 20 months when his brother/sister will be born in July.

Answer by missanc at 9:24 AM on Jan. 15, 2010