Why is it that when you have a desperate question in need of advice there's at least person asking if you've been to counseling?!

Aren't there some things that a therapist shouldn't have to be the first person you call? Maybe you don't WANT to see a therapist, for some reason. Is THAT ok?! Oye.

rlemde

Asked by rlemde at 11:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Sure it's okay not to see a therapist. But most of the time the person who has the strongest desire to avoid one probably has the greatest need.
    I hate therapists and have been doing everything in my power to avoid it. ...but as the one year anniversary of my mothers death gets closer the more i begin to realize that i might (probably) need more help then i can give myself.

Also, it's just a persons way of saying that they don't necessarily have an answer to your question and they think you should seek that answer elsewhere.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I agree, why would anyone want to pay big buck to that sits there listens to your problems and thinks your crazy, ugh people and there counseling
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• They don't think you are crazy. They have to see therapy themselves before they can become a therapist. My MIL is going for her PhD in psychology.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• There are times I suggest that people go to therapy because, frankly, their situation seems like something that needs a lot more help than you can get from 900 characters typed by a stranger in a message board post.

Not everything can be solved that simply, sometimes it really does need the help of someone who has the time and training to sit and listen to the entire situation and help sort through what the problem is, above and beyond a bunch of strangers on the internet, and because if they are having to ask something that serious and painful here, then that says that they don't feel they can trust the people in their real lives to give them honest and helpful answers, so a counselor would fill that need.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:18 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yeah ok whatever they don't think your crazy, but people must be since they have to keep going back once a week to talk to someone to solve a problem while they empty there wallet, that's my opinion.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Personally I like therapy.. I like have that outside third party input on things. Therapist don't give you answers, they help you find them within yourself. Sometimes people need that little extra guidance to be able to dig deep enough. Sometimes they need it to feel safe about talking about certain things. Sometimes they need it to help let go of guilt or shame. I think people that have not been to therapy have the complete wrong idea of what its like. You don't just go lay back on a couch and rattle off your life story and walk out a new person. It helps you to see yourself from another perspective. Everyone has something that works for them. When you ask someone for advice/opinions, they tend to give the ones that have worked for them.
    PennStateMomma

Answer by PennStateMomma at 12:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• You said it yourself - "desperate" If a situation is bad enough to warrant calling it desperate, therapy is probably a good idea...unless, of course, you're exaggerating.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Why are you hostile towards therapy?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• You don't have to be crazy to go to a therapist. If that was the case then all therapists must be crazy too. Because, like i said, they ALL have to have therapy before they can become a therapist. And they don't solve your problems for you. Their job is to teach you how to recognize your problems so that you can solve them yourself.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2010