Night Terrors: When do they stop?

My five year old have night terrors almost every night since he was two. At first, it scared me silly (I even took him to the emergency room was since I did not know what a night terror was). However, now I am just waiting for this to stop. Does it ever stop? My pediatrician said that I can not do anything to stop them. Is that true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son suffered night terrors for 3 years. I ran across an artical describing scents. I made him a lavender sachet and stuck it inside his pillow. This seemed to help.

A friend of mine also had a problem with night terrors on her son. She made "Monster repellant" out of a spray bottle and glitter. Made a professional looking label for it and all. Sprayed around her son's room every night for about a month before bed.

Both have been with great success. I hope these do help you, and I do feel for you.
    XxBWxX

Answer by XxBWxX at 12:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My sister started having night terrors as a child. She's now 26 and still has night terrors from time to time but not as frequently as she did as a child.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:02 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• It is true. My sons started at about 2 and he is slowly stopping. They are rare now and he is 7. It made me feel helpless but doc said it will run its course.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• A blurb about night terrors:
    Night terrors are a common sleep problem among children. By some estimates, about 15% of younger children have occasional night terrors. Although most common in children between the ages of 2 and 6 years, they can occur at almost any age.
    Although usually considered to be normal or benign, they are often very scary and distressing to parents who often overreact, especially during a child's first night terror.

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/sleep/a/night_terrors.htm
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 10:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2010