What to expect...

I know a lot about pregnancy, delivery, post partum, etc. but there are somethings that im not going to expect... does anyone have any advice as to what to expect that people usually do not tell you? (just getting myself prepared) :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Congrats :) I'll just pass on what my mom said "Everyone will tell you something different, but every pregnancy is different" ......
    What though are you asking, to narrow it down more?
    Jeda624

Answer by Jeda624 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• No one can tell you how much you can possibly love a baby, or exactly how demanding and exhausting it is to care for one.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• If your baby spits up - it is ok. It looks like a lot, but it actually is a very small portion. And yes, take changes of clothes for you and baby everywhere you go - you NEVER know what could happen!

But I agree with raybird1031 -- You will never know the power of Love until you look at that precious angel for the first time. And there will be times when you are so utterly exhausted and overwhelmed, it is always okay to put baby in a safe place and go out of the room for a few minutes. We all get overwhelmed at times - it IS okay!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• When random strangers in the store or at the bank offer you unsolicited advice about feeding, dressing, sleeping, etc, just smile & nod, say thanks, and then ignore it.
    When those same strangers in the grocery check out line ask how your baby sleeps, tell them "like a baby". It's not worth answering any other way, because you'll just get advice you don't need or want.
    :)
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• haha thank you so much for the answers!!!.. im expecting in May so im just preparing myself for everything even though i know that i will not be fully prepared... but there are somethings that i am finding out that i had no idea about.. like the post partum stuff (recovering and how gross it is) and just stuff the doctors dont tell you before hand... i just feel very uneducated when it comes down to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

Kristy375

Answer by Kristy375 at 12:34 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• If your bottle feeding, make a bottle up ahead of bedtime by putting in the formula, and in a seperate bottle put in the right amount of water. This nothing worse then being overly tired and trying to measure water. Also, when you go to pack the diaper bag, when you think you have packed everything, add 5 extra diapers, and a change of baby clothes.
    XxBWxX

Answer by XxBWxX at 12:45 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• thank you so much for your help!!!! its going to go a long way!! :)
    Kristy375

Answer by Kristy375 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Things I wish people told me:
    After delivery, the nurses will come in and push on your uterus to make sure there is no clotting. It hurts like hell.
    Nursing at first will bring with it contractions (it triggers the hormone that makes your uterus shrink back down to size.) ouch.
    As soon as baby is born, they administer eye drops, a vitamin K shot, and a hep b vaccine. Know beforehand if you want to consent to those procedures. (research them...the hep b especially)

this is YOUR birth, YOU call the shots. Dont let Doctors tell you how it is going to be. Some people dont know how many options they have and they think they have to follow a hospital's rules. You are PAYING them for a service and their expertise, take what they say seriously but remember they will just try to get you in and out and make room for more patients
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Aww congrats mama! Babies are wonderful. And a lot of work. But they change your life FOREVER in ways you can't even imagine right now. I was always a girl who said I didn't want to have kids. Boy am I glad I changed my mind! I would have missed out on the most wonderful love in the world. I was a first time mom of TWINS. I didn't do a whole lot of research, I just kinda flew by the seat of my pants. And I DID FINE! I have 2 laid back well adjusted 18 month olds now. I did suffer PPD myself after they were born, which was awful. But I made it through. It's an adventure and it FLIES by..enjoy every second you can!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 5:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2010