Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need a counselor but have no money...

So it took quite a while for me to admit that I need to see someone but now that I have I don't know what to do about the money. I understand that something this important should be paid for but we just don't have it. I mean that's $240 a month for a weekly session at $60.

Has anyone found a good credible counselor (or psychologist) for free? And yes, I have googled this but haven't found anyone within an hour or anyone that seems credible (due to reviews).

I've been to bad counselors before and I'm afraid that that can be worse than no counseling at all.

Anyone have any luck with this?


Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • some states offer free counseling to help families stay together and work things out. what state r u in?

    Answer by Malex09 at 2:04 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • I'm in the St. Louis, Missouri area and it's more personal things than a family thing.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • that doesnt really matter. i am in WA and here the wellfare office will help you with setting up counseling. also try calling a out patient treatment center and see if they can point you in the right direction. do you have a close friend or family member you can trust ?

    Answer by Malex09 at 2:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • I feel like I can get more helpful advice sharing more about me. : ) I've dealt with body issues and depression most of my life and it is really wearing on me and upsetting my poor husband. He wants to help so much and feels like he can't.

    I trust no one but my husband. I am an extremely private person and it's hard enough for me to talk to a counselor. Plus, I need someone to really listen and be accountable too.

    Thanks so much for the replies, ladies!


    Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • The health dept will have ideas, if you have a university or college nearby they do free or very low cost treatment. Just call around, the expensive ones can help you find the cheap and free ones too.

    Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:02 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • Some universities offer counseling on a sliding scale
    Many members of the clergy are trained as counselor
    Social services agencies generally offer counseling or referrals
    If you are in the Chicago metro area, here are some suggestions: The Ark (california just north of Devon); Northwestern University has several counseling centers, fees can be as low as $5 a session; Jewish Family Services will assist you, no matter what your religion.
    That is all that I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck!

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • There are counseling centers that offer a sliding scale. Also, have you checked out your Public Health Mental Centers?

    Answer by Ewadun at 6:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • Is there a college/university in your area that offers a psychology program? Many of the psych grad students have to provide counseling services as part of their curriculum, and their services are usually free or at greatly reduced costs. They usually advertise in local papers or on the campus itself.

    Answer by kitkabob at 9:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • churches and universities are good places to start.

    Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:18 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.