Ultrasound question

How many weeks can they do an outside the stomach ultrasound instead on the trans-vag? Also how early can you see sex of the baby? I know I should know this but I am coming up blank. Thanks

truealaskanmom

Asked by truealaskanmom at 2:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Definitely tummy one at 14-15. I had my first tummy at about 9 weeks and was able to see baby very clearly. Gender might be a little harder at that point. They might be able to give you an idea but I don't think it's necessarily accurate for another month or so.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 2:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I has the tummy ultrasound done by 10 wks...had a second where they couldn't tell at 13 wks and.I found out the sex of my baby at 19, but I'm not saying it can't be done earlier, just saying thats how it worked for me..
    Jeda624

Answer by Jeda624 at 2:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I think it depends on the woman really. My friend found out she was having a girl at 19 weeks i think and i thought that was too early because sometimes you cant tell or see. But she is 100% having a girl. I found out i was having a boy after 2 girls on December 4, 2009. i was 23 weeks at that time and now 29 weeks. The usually do on the tummy ultrasounds around 12 weeks.. Depends on the provider or radiologist.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 2:24 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• THanks I ask because the hospital is doing free ultrasounds being done by med students and wanted to know if at 14 almost 15 weeks they could do the tummy one, and if it were possible we could see the gender. Thanks.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i had my tummy u/s when i was 13w i cant say about the sex yet cause im not sure i go back Feb 11 ill be 17 almost 18 w then
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• my aunt was told at 14w that she was having a boy...they just said it looks like a boy, they confirmed at 19w.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I found out I was having a boy at 17 weeks the first time and at 15 1/2 weeks the second time. Both were clear boy parts. They will be able to do a tummy one for sure for you.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2010