Questions about having your gallbladder removed...

I found out that this intense pain I have been getting for nearly 2 and a half months now is very likely gallbladder attacks. I am scheduled for an ultrasound to confirm it on the 3rd of February. If it is indeed gallbladder attacks, they suggest I have it removed immediately. Also, if I have another major attack that includes vomitting & fever they want to do an emergency removal even if I have not yet had the ultrasound. These attacks happen 3-5 times a week & last for many hours, so bad sometimes that I am not even able to do basic tasks or care for my 3month old son (don't worry, hubby takes care of him so he's not being neglected or anything).

Now to my questions. Is it painful to have your gallbladder removed? What is the procedure like? Are there restrictions on eating afterwards? What are the pros & cons? Any other info would be great as well. Thank you!

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 2:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Health

• It is usually done arthroscopic which means a super small incision, and it is usually an outpatient procedure done in the morning home that evening. No eating restrictions but you will need to take an acid reflux medication because it helps reduce the amount of bile released into your stomach. You should do it because it is painful if not done and there are little issues after having it done.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I had mine removed 2 years ago, maybe 3? I couldn't believe how much better I felt afterwards! I had the pains lasting that would have me doubled over, got the US and it showed I had stones and it was needing to come out. When they removed it, I had 8 lodged stones. Afterwards I had no pain really. The cuts were small, it was done laproscopy so 3 small holes on the belly. I was told to avoid spicey and greasy foods, I had fast food as soon as I left the hospital lol. I was hungry! But now, if I eat greasey things or spicey, I get cramps. Which they said to expect. But I can live with it, some people get bad diarrhea afterwards, I never had that. Good Luck, it's worth having it out!
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 2:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I had mine out 11 years ago and I am so glad I did. It is usually done laprascopically which means 3 little punctures, one they did have to enlarge on me to remove the gall bladder, but even that one was still only about an inch and needed only 3 or 4 stitches. I haven't had a single problem with any foods I eat, and we eat spicy quite often. I wasn't having attacks as often as you (thank goodness), but they were bad, usually requiring a trip to the ER for pain and nausea meds, and like you I couldn't care for my baby (he was about 3 months when they started and 6 months when I had it removed). I had it done in the am, home by early afternoon. A couple days later we had my in-laws over for dinner (fil's b-day, hubby cooked) and by 4 days post op I was caring for my son alone when hubby had to go back to work.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Gallbladder attacks are the worst pain I have ever had, I'm so sorry! I had mine taken out 9 years ago; 3 small incisions on my stomach. I had it removed on a Friday, and was back to work on Monday. Since then, I haven't had any issues at all. Between now and when you get it removed you can help prevent the attacks by not eating anything hard to digest, especially foods with a high fat content. Also limit your portion sizes so you don't get too full.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• GET THE DANG THING OUT, did mine 3 yrs ago the best thing I had ever done, they gave me vic's for pain afterward I took 1. I was up and doing everything by day 4, I can eat anything no need for antacids I do occasionally have what I would call diahera but its more like an urgency got to go NOW not 5 mins from now, but the best part of it all is no pain gl
    wyattgrace

Answer by wyattgrace at 8:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I had mine removed at 15.. I started getting the pains the day school let out, and for the whole 3 months of summer I laid on my sofa drinking a grape gatorade and puking my guts out. All the dr's i went to said tons of different things, but not gallbladder issues, because I was 'too young'.. finally after losing 65 lbs and not getting off the sofa for 3 months, they gave me an U/S.. my entire gallbladder was filled with stones.. I had a removal scheduled for the next week. I went in at 9 am and was out by 6 or 7 that evening.. 3 small cuts, 1 in belly button, 1 to the right side, and 1 across the top center.. it was soooo worth it.. you are sore for a few days afterwards, but they give you pain meds.. you just have to learn to use your leg muscles to help you stand and all that.. ive never had any food issues since then. no antacids or anything like that needed. they told me to cut back on greasy and fried foods..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2010