Best breast pump to buy for working FT

I'm getting ready to go back to work FT (40 hours a week) and I was wondering what would be the best breast pump to buy? I already have a Medela Harmony manual breast pump that I have been using. Could I use that if I can pump 3/4 times a shift?

ang0343

Asked by ang0343 at 2:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can use it but I would recommend something a little faster. I went back to work when my DD was 10 weeks and I used the Medela Swing. It was about the size of a discman and worked almost as fast as the hospital pump I used while on maternity leave
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• You can also go to a medical supply or the hospital and ask if they will do rent outs of the high tech high volume hospital grade pumps, it is cheaper and the best pumps made really.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:42 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I used a Almeda Purely Yours Dual electric Breast Pump with carrying bag - see it at : http://www.amedadirect.com/
    Everything fits inside the bag, including a smaller bottle bag that can hold 6 bottles.
    You can use both pumps at one time, or disconnect one and only use one at a time, then you put the bottle in the smaller black case and put it in the refridgerator (it's very discreet :-)
    I think I paid around $200 for mine, but you can find them used for under $100. I currently have mine at a used children's store on consignment for $89.
    Best of Luck to you and your family!!
    4bridges

Answer by 4bridges at 10:08 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I have a Medela PIS Advanced, but I would recommend the swing for the convenient small size and the hands free option (so you can eat, read magazines, etc while pumping). Mine works fine, but if I got to do it over again, the cost would be worth the convenience for me!!
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 10:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• You seriously need to get the Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast pump. If you are planning on breastfeeding for a while, it is well worth it. They are very expensive, about $300, but well worth the time it saves you. It only takes me about 10-15 to pump at work. Plus they are already in the built in bag and it is very discreet. I sent mine into insurance and they paid for all except $40 of it. It is worth looking into.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I agree with the pp's... Eigther a Medela PIS advanced or a swing!! The only way to go!!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• The Medela Pump in Style is the common pump for working moms. They are supposed to be one user pumps because of the made up possibility that a pump could be contaminated. It's never happened and it's so far out it is funny they expect anyone to believe it. You can get used pumps on craigslist for under $50 and then buy 2 new pumping kits.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2010