What is your job/ career besides being a mom?

Just curious.......what do you mommies do when you're not taking care of your kids? Did you go to school for the job/ career you have? Do you love it? I'm wanting to go back to school but I don't know what I want to go for. I want to see what the majority of you other mommies do!

ang0343

Asked by ang0343 at 2:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I am an educational assistant (teacher's aide) in a program for kids with special needs at the high school level. I love my job, but it isn't for everyone. On a daily basis I may have to diaper a teenager, help someone change their pad, do physio with kids, hear about a girl's boyfriend issues, go to a work experience site, cook or bake with the kids, help with academics. I've been hit, kicked, scratched, bit, called every name in the book, and then had that same student tell me they love me minutes later. And I wouldn't trade it for anything! I love the job and I love the kids.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I am working on my masters in teaching right now. I have been subbing (classified, pretty much what canadianmom1974 just explained) but now I have too much field work, so I'm taking a break.

I hope to be teaching high school English next year (I graduate in November, so I may end up finishing the year up subbing, we'll see).
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:50 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i am a cashier at a drug store..its a job..not a career..do i love it?? ummmmm...its ok..its fast paced, so i like that aspect of it..people are nice...the store is great, but im hoping to work my way up there.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I make soy, scented candles and candle "tarts" If I didn't do that, I would just be a mommy! But I LOVE making candles, and I can do it with my kiddo's too :)
    Lucie1979

Answer by Lucie1979 at 4:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I'm a personal, professional photographer. While my babies are still out of school I'm slowly building my business and when they get in school I will go more fulltime with it but I love it. I have a lot of time to be home with the kids and I self teach myself everything through online forums, networking with other professionals, books etc.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:18 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• The majority of mothers are not on CafeMom; there seem to be very few professionals here.

Go to your local library and pick up a copy of What Color is My Parachute. It will help you find a career path. Be sure to explore job opportunities in your area before committing to a college major. It is always a good idea to have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field.

My career has meandered over the years. Currently, I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization; I also do career & job search coaching. I am always happy to help cafemoms (and dads) with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview prep

Answer by rkoloms at 6:25 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• peds nurse, and student :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I'm a union sheetmetal construction worker. Pay and benefits are great. Not many women in the trades. Apprenticeship varies, but mine is 5 years long. You get paid while you train.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 6:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Medical Transcriptionist...good luck with your future! And good for you for wanting to go back to school.
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 6:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• nurse
    eastonbennett

Answer by eastonbennett at 7:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2010