eczema.. and it's spreading!

i've had eczema all my life. it has always just been on the back of my arms but has never bothered me at all. lately it has been REALLY itchy. and it's spreading further down my arms and a little on my sides. what is causing this to happen?? it has never happened before..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Health

• Mine started moving around when I was about 23. I like to think it is stress related. Or hormone's changing. I know my eczema changed after I had my dd. Just try not to itch it!! I know, I know...impossible!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Eczema is sometimes related to allergies. Allergies change just like your taste buds. You can not have any allergies growing up but then develop some as an adult. Talk to your doctor about getting a cream or ointment. My son has had it all over his entire body since he was about 18 months old. I get it really bad in the winter time because my skin dries out but I only have a few patches on the inside of my elbows and forearms. stay hydrated and do not use soap. Buy cream body washes and lotion it up every time it gets wet while it it still damp and through out the day. And unless you are are a stickler for taking a shower every day try every other day in the winter or get in every day but only wash the parts of your body where the eczema is not at.
    MamaCass05

Answer by MamaCass05 at 4:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Use unscented lotions, the thick cream stuff works best... I use Eucerin cream.
    MamaCass05

Answer by MamaCass05 at 4:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• First, eliminate dairy.
    Next, avoid all artificial/chemical scents and harsh detergents
    Keep showers short, infrequent and cool
    Put coconut oil on the afflicted areas.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• have you tried cutting dairy? this includes milk, butter, cheese, chocolate, ice cream, yogurt, pudding, and many processed foods. dairy is the #1 food intolerance/ allergen. Gluten is the #2. Funny b/c those are usually high on our grocery lists, milk and bread. i believe that emotional stress and hormonal changes can explain the change in your condition. but really, you should try to get to the root of the problem. there are many substitutes for milk these days. personally i would just switch to water, but there are rice, soy and almond milks. if cereal is a must for you , try oatmeal instead. winter is a great time of year to make that switch. i have never heard of any lotions or creams that clear up eczema, i have heard they can help though.
    good luck...hey you could see an allergist as well!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• You might wanna get checked by an allergen. My friend suffers from excema but recently found out the reaction of excema had a lot to due with the fact that she is allergic to just about everythin.
    Anonymous