Drugging children

Why is it, if your child is "over-active" that teachers always say to take them to the doctor and ask about ADD or ADHD? I refuse to drug my child unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary, like when my daughter had cancer. When I tell the teacher(s) that I will not put them on drugs, they act like I am a terrible mother?...My son had a hard time in first grade, and my daughter is now in first grade and also easily distracted, My other two children have always done excellent in school and my son does too now, he is in 4th grade. Has anyone else had this problem? They don't act out, and are actually ahead of their reading/math levels also, so it isn't effecting their learning at all....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• LOL....The title says "drugging children just for fun" HAHAHAHAHAHA...But no, I won't put anything in my daughter's body either, especially mind altering ones!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Maybe they are seeing terrible disruptive behavior in your kids that you refuse to see?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I can see both sides. DH and I both agree that unless it is really necessary, we won't put our kids on anything heavy or mood altering. But if their school is taking a hit, then we will look into medication. That said, i can also see the teacher's side of things. Have you considered talking to the school counselor or a psychologist about observing your child in class? They can do it, and your kids will never know that the person is in there to observe them. He/she can watch your child and let you know the severity of your kid's behavior. Also, when a child has ADD/ADHD sometimes parents don't see how bad it is. THey become almost desensitized to the behavior. Talk to the teachers, talk to a counselor. While I won't say jump to meds right away, I also think you should keep them in mind. Right now their studies may be fine, but you don't want it to start impacting them later on. Just keep all this in mind.

katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 5:24 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My teachers had told my parents that when I was younger. I ended up getting put on something, it wasnt ridilin (or however thats spelled) but it was somethign else. But it made me lazy all the time, lol. I felt sick to my stomach, and i didnt want to do anything at all. It actually made my grades worse. But I would never give it to my son either. I think its a gov't conspiracy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:25 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I see teachers trying to give those kinds of drugs to kids all the time. I see normal kids being kids- but I think it makes it easier on the teacher if they're drugged.

RoguesMommy

Answer by RoguesMommy at 5:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Meds should always be a last resort. There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I have always said if a medication can help my son live a basically normal life compared to what he now does that I wouldn't hesitate to medicate him. However, that isn't the first or always best answer.
    PattyAnn1936

Answer by PattyAnn1936 at 6:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I agree 100%! Our nation as a whole is WAY too quick to jump the gun on add & adhd - even autism! That's not to say that doesn't say that SOME kids actually DO need meds and these aren't true illnesses... just not NEAR the number of kids who area actually diagnosed.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I think ADHD is overdiagnosed and i have for years even though i have a child with ADHD who has other problems. We tried the diet, behavior mods, various other things and my child was impulsive. I finally chose to medicate based on the need for her to be safe. Even at 7 she thought nothing of walking in front of a car even though id told her 9 million times to look both ways and watch for cars.

Ive got friends who medicate their kids because they just flat dont want to deal with them. There is nothing wrong with the kids....a lil overactive MAYBE but most of them are just smartazz punks who didnt get enough butt whippings growing up to keep them in line and all of them come from divorced parents.

If you dont want to medicate that is your choice BUT if your children have the tendencies I would make sure they werent disrupting the other students in the classroom and i would make sure they eat healthy as possible.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 8:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i would home school before medicating my kids. i think some teachers over recommend drugs, and some under recommend drugs. see if your principal can be honest with you about that, and get your child with the proper teacher next year. we do not medicate our kids, we do not vaccinate our kids, and we don't do much dairy. we get looks like we are child abusers as well. Honestly, i think our kids are healthier for it in the long run, and we are not raising them to look to the medicine cabinet for solutions to all that ails them. i believe in altering the diet as the first step. Really, it goes against nature for most kids to expect them to be cooped up in a classroom all day long being quiet, standing in line, sitting in a circle, just listening. kids by nature should be running, laughing, interacting w/ others, exploring their world using all of their senses.
    good luck to you, i think you know what is best for your kids!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 15, 2010